logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noob needs help setting up Database

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nachopala

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:03    Post subject: Noob needs help setting up Database Reply with quote

Ok, here's the thing, ì'm struggling with nwnx and the database, i almost have it done, but it seems that i dont understand the basics. So, i thought that if i could ask the right questions ill be back in track.
I undestand scripting in nwn very well, i have a great idea of using MySQL, due to work with Webpages, but anyway i cant find the way to get them working together.
So, here comes the questions:
I Understand that I can use MySQL.
So, wich is the best software option for hosting it? Windows service maybe?.
Then, wich is the best software option for accesing the DB?
The Database should have only the PW table? or i can add my own?
The scripting part seems to be clear in the documentation.
Oka, thats all for now, im sorry if all this seems too basic, but i am very exited about working with this amazing tools in my module, i've been searching the net for several days and i couldnt find anything that gets me out of this hole.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 14:30    Post subject: Re: Noob needs help setting up Database Reply with quote

This is just my personal preference, but I would answer your questions like so:

nachopala wrote:
So, wich is the best software option for hosting it? Windows service maybe?.

Definitely windows service.

nachopala wrote:
Then, wich is the best software option for accesing the DB?

If would use the tools provided by MySQL as seperate download for starters, namely MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser.

nachopala wrote:
The Database should have only the PW table? or i can add my own?

In fact, you are encouraged to add your own tables. Since you said you know MySQL, you probably also know how to create, fill, and query your own tables. The purpose of the pwdata table is just to provide a starting point for basic use of NWNX and for providing alternatives to the Bioware DB functions. Useing your own data structures which are specific to your problem should result in better performance and cleaner nwscript code.
nachopala

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the fast answer, it has clarified everything to me.!! Now im ready to rock the PW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: