logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another noob question..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:03    Post subject: Another noob question.. Reply with quote

Sorry all...have to ask..
When I open mysql Yog it shows 5 different databases..

Where or how do i specify which one i want my module to write?

And would it be ok to delete the others once i figure this out?
Grumalg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

MySQL creates some databases when it's installed some are vital to MySQL itself, some are examples. It hurts nothing to leave them there.

Since your other post showed NWNX4 related log entries, I assume your useing NWNX4. In that case, the database NWNX4 uses is set in the xp_mysql.ini file. The name used is controlled by the line:

schema = nwn2

This default value is fine, and says NWNX4 will use 'nwn2' as it's database. You can of course choose to use a different DB name.

--- Grumalg ---
Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can that DB that i name be anywhere? or should it be in the NWNX dir?
Grumalg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you installed MySQL, one of the options was setting the directory where the data files are kept. Whatever location you installed with is where the DB data will be found. A database in MySQL isn't actually a single file. The location mentioned above is where the actual data is kept. In addition to that there are support files defining the database objects (tables, etc.) that exist in the database which are located in Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\data\ in a directory named the same as the DB name.

For the most part, you don't need to worry about where the data is, MySQL already knows that information. Since the DB engine will have that file open and in use, and portions of the information related to a DB are stored in other locations or the main mysql DB itself, it's not like you can do much with it anyway. If you're concerned about things like creating a DB, backing one up, restoring one, etc. you can easily do all of those things with the MySQL Administrator app and keep backups in any location you desire. There are also a ton of command line tools if you want to learn about them.

The MySQL Administrator app and other tools are a seperate download and install of 'mysql-gui-tools' available on the MySQL site.

--- Grumalg ---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: