logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting from windows to Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainfrostbyte

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 17:35    Post subject: Converting from windows to Linux Reply with quote

Okay... i've been reading over the forums and don't see any real info on this, and i'm still new as a scripter so I'll ask outright.

I currently host a PVP mod using NWNX to store player XP, Banned users, Valid DM accounts, and a few other details. The mod's creators hosted and built every thing under windows, but i am unhappy with the perfomance under windows and would like to move it all to linux, and as a relative newcommer to nwnx and scripting in genral, i turn to the experts for an estimate on complexity.

the only plugin being used is Leto.

SOOO the question is this, How much is involved in moving a mod from Windows +NWNX + MSACCESS/SQL to Linux +NWNX + mysql ? I don't want to have a big hassel every time a scripter makes a change (there are two others doing 99% of the scripting right now, and they are both windows users)

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
virusman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 17:58    Post subject: Re: Converting from windows to Linux Reply with quote

captainfrostbyte wrote:
Okay... i've been reading over the forums and don't see any real info on this, and i'm still new as a scripter so I'll ask outright.

I currently host a PVP mod using NWNX to store player XP, Banned users, Valid DM accounts, and a few other details. The mod's creators hosted and built every thing under windows, but i am unhappy with the perfomance under windows and would like to move it all to linux, and as a relative newcommer to nwnx and scripting in genral, i turn to the experts for an estimate on complexity.

the only plugin being used is Leto.

SOOO the question is this, How much is involved in moving a mod from Windows +NWNX + MSACCESS/SQL to Linux +NWNX + mysql ? I don't want to have a big hassel every time a scripter makes a change (there are two others doing 99% of the scripting right now, and they are both windows users)

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
It must be relatively simple, I think. Just change some constants in scripts, import/export your DB, etc..
xaltos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the same in the other direction for our server a few month ago. ( Unix -> Windows)

There are no bigger problems.
You can use the same module for unix and windows. Just make sure you are using the binary mode with your FTP program.

The only problem that I remember was , that one gamespy id's had a exotic french character in the name ( e.g. é è ).
This lokked a bit diffrent under windows and the player coudn't see his files.
captainfrostbyte

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you had no scripting changes in the module to move it over? and did you change access when you moved it over? or leave it with one of the open source DB's?
odenien

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only possible change would be if you have a delete character function with a hardcoded path. Going from "\" to "/". I was on a project where we used LETO and our to main servers were unix, but we developed and tested on Windows. There was no physical difference in the mod to do that.

You will find that you will not be using the latest NWNX2 components, but I think LETO has sync'd up his code to use the two different versions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: