logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question of How to Proceed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baaleos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:12    Post subject: Question of How to Proceed? Reply with quote

Ok, I have got Visual Studio 6.

I have absolutly no idea of what everything in it does, or how to go about creating a new plugin.

Anyone got any ideas, or links to a tutorial of how to begin making a nwnx2 plugin?

The plugin I want to make is one that get/set feats and maybe some other character changes.

I understand a little about memory addresses and such.
Am I correct in assuming that to be able to do this plugin, I am going to have to debug the server app, and find a unique memory address for a player, then measure the offset from that, to the feat list for that character?

It stands to reason that in theory, the feat list should always be a similar offset from the start of each characters slot in the server.

Does this seem like a valid approach?
Zebranky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 18:39    Post subject: Re: Question of How to Proceed? Reply with quote

Baaleos wrote:
Ok, I have got Visual Studio 6.

I have absolutly no idea of what everything in it does, or how to go about creating a new plugin.

Anyone got any ideas, or links to a tutorial of how to begin making a nwnx2 plugin?

There's a demo plugin on the downloads page, I think. Personally, I usually just use nwnx_fixes as a base for my experiments. You should probably check out the SVN repository, as it's all set up to compile all the major Windows plugins out of the box.

Baaleos wrote:
The plugin I want to make is one that get/set feats and maybe some other character changes.

I understand a little about memory addresses and such.
Am I correct in assuming that to be able to do this plugin, I am going to have to debug the server app, and find a unique memory address for a player, then measure the offset from that, to the feat list for that character?

It stands to reason that in theory, the feat list should always be a similar offset from the start of each characters slot in the server.

Does this seem like a valid approach?

I'll PM you some details that might help get started, but your approach is pretty much correct.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 18:57    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, in the end, If I manage to get a working real-time feat editor for Windows, it might be worthwhile to make a public release of it.

I've not used Visual Studio 6 before, so I have no clue yet how to start a project or compile anything. (Was kinda hoping there was a tutorial lying around, Lol)

nwnx_fix - whats that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: