logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is There Any Movement with The Resource Plugin (and Source?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blacksting

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 22:17    Post subject: Is There Any Movement with The Resource Plugin (and Source?) Reply with quote

I have the finished half (the simple data types) of the virtual GFF editing code for the scorco plugin (ODBC) and it occurred to me this code could be used effectively in the Resource plugin as well.

Right now I can succesfully retrieve an object and modify its simple data (hitpoints, model parts) without using Leto file routines. It would be great if this modification could occur with CreateObject and not just RetrieveCampaignObject. My spawn system currently is bogged down by random generations because objects must be created twice (once then copied for modifications.) With the Resource hook those modifications could be done on the incoming resource.

Also note that there is a "virtual save" option for SCO. So for me to modify an object I virtual SCO it.... modify it.... and RCO it all without hitting the hard drive.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically left the Resource Manager where it was, since it was doing its job and since nobody (including me) wanted to run it on a live server (yet). I will release the sources sometime, after some cleanup.
Blacksting

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running it on live servers for over a month now I think. There are no stability problems that I know of and it works perfectly. I constantly change scripts while the server is running and have yet to see it crash. I have created object files from the resource folder as well. The two servers I use it on stay up for days. The second of the servers even uses the resource folder as a mapped drive from a lan client and no problems occur.

The ability for me to GFF modify incoming resources will be a great step in cutting down cpu load from multiple object copy/creation while editing.
Blacksting

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an intersting use of GFF editing that I plan on using if I can incorporate it in to the Resource Plugin: turning placeables from static to usable.

Right now many of the placeables in my world are static but they "could" be used as crafting material in "realistic" terms. It would suck to have all rocks, trees, etc. in an entire module be usable. That is way too much clutter visually (damn glow.) My players are equipped with an interact tool that could be used to near miss target static placeables and turn them to usable (destroy old placeable, create new placeable of the same resref but edit it on the way in with the Resource Plugin with the proper usable parameters.) I do this now with certain placeables by having two templates..... but in the end it is a pain to duplicate everything I put down.

(As a note I have all of the necessary data types for GFF editing done for SCORCO.... now on to possibly adding fields/lists.... but ultimately LetoScript is fine for that sort of thing.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: