logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decompiling nwserver.exe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:19    Post subject: Decompiling nwserver.exe? Reply with quote

I've seen decompile dumps posted in these forums before (i.e., C code with variable assignments like "int1, int2, int3, int4, int5" so you know its decompiled code), so I'm sure there are some decompiles already out there.

Now of course this query is for educational purposes only for the greater good of not wasting my life away in IDA, which has an assembly export feature but no real C-level dissassembling options I've been able to see. Even if its against the EULA to do it, its not against the EULA to recommend to me a good decompiler Smile

What is an appropriate tool to use? I've looked around and the decompiler software world looks pretty hodge-podge. I don't care if they can't perfectly reconstruct the C++ classes that were used to originally compile NWN - a C dump is fine with me, although it would be nice if it can compile back, at least just for the sake of demonstrating correctness if nothing else, although I do not intend to use it for that.
virusman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an IDA plugin for that - Hex-Rays.
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the free version of IDA Pro, which I understood was limited to the x86 platform (along with a "non-commercial uses" clause), unlike their commercial version which worked with many architectures.

I think the decompiler plugin you are speaking of is sold separately for the commercial version. Is that the plugin you are referring to, or another?
virusman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's it, and it's 10 times more expensive than IDA itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: