logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading BIC files - C++ Application

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paurin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 19:18    Post subject: Reading BIC files - C++ Application Reply with quote

Firstly, I'd like to say hello to everyone as it's my first topic.
I am a programmer who has just started an application. Application has to read and write BIC files. I've starter to read this documentation, but when I got to header description, I've found out that this only works with v3.2. Version of my files is v3.28 and it's incompatible.
If anyone knows how to help me figure it out I'll be grateful!
Skywing

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GFF header version is four characters - "V3.2" is the whole version. The next character is part of another header field.

I've got some heavily commented GFF reader/writer code that is robust against malformed GFFs which you could peruse here (also applicable to NWN1 as the GFF format hasn't changed), if you want a code reference. Check out NWN2DataLib\GffFileReader.* and NWN2DataLib\GffFileWriter.*.

If you're still stuck after going through those, post back and perhaps we can help further if you can provide more details as to what's going wrong.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - one of the NWN2 Dll's comes with public functions which read and write hak, bic, and other bioware/nwn file types.

I experimented with it while back when I was creating a Hak Packer/Unpack instalation program.
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds a lot like Leto, a standalone app for editing bics. I forget if they ever published their source or not. It might help with some of the file format issues. Do some leto searches on the nwvault at ign.

There is also the Letoscript DLL for NWNX, but the support site for it at weathersong has been down forever and their examples.... what examples.... anyways... its something of an enigma. I think you can still download it at source forge, although one of their versions of Moneo is broken and you got to get an older one.... then there is the matter of booting your players prior to making an edit.....

Actually, I strongly support the idea of this application as long as the source is open and it uses the NWNX plugin template. I don't think I could ever get my hands on the original Letoscript DLL sources, which is really too bad because a lot more could of been done with that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: