logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can NWNX help list a server under multiple gamespy categors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starfall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:22    Post subject: Can NWNX help list a server under multiple gamespy categors? Reply with quote

Hi NWNX

Some years ago we saw a single NWN server listed under all gamespy categories. Is this something NWNX is capable of arranging?

We are thinking of using NWNX as an alternative to Firedaemon -- we just started serving a NWN game and we want to have autoreboot on crash. (any idea how NWNX compares to Firedaemon? NWNX is open source we think..!)
Zebranky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNX can't do that currently, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable if it could -- that feels like spam to me, and totally defeats the purpose of having categories (though I could see limited justification for listing under, for example, both PW Story and Role Play).

Firedaemon serves a different purpose, for the most part. NWNX alone will not run the server as a Windows service, though it can automatically restart it. However, NWNX (through its plugins) provides a lot of other NWN-specific features that you won't find anywhere else -- instancing areas, hooking events like pickpocket and examining objects, connecting to an external database, etc.

And yes, it is open source, and runs on both Windows and Linux (though the features available on each platform differ slightly).

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
starfall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:
NWNX can't do that currently, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable if it could -- that feels like spam to me, and totally defeats the purpose of having categories (though I could see limited justification for listing under, for example, both PW Story and Role Play).

Firedaemon serves a different purpose, for the most part. NWNX alone will not run the server as a Windows service, though it can automatically restart it. However, NWNX (through its plugins) provides a lot of other NWN-specific features that you won't find anywhere else -- instancing areas, hooking events like pickpocket and examining objects, connecting to an external database, etc.

And yes, it is open source, and runs on both Windows and Linux (though the features available on each platform differ slightly).

thx zebranky - i have a follow up question? -- you are saying NWNX alone will not run the server as a Windows service. Could you point me to a link which compares what it can do under Windows vs Linux?

I would prefer to use NWNX over Firedaemon if it can just simply restart the server after it crashes automatically and is smooth and reliable under Windows. We don't really need it for the other functions beyond that yet.

thx for your guidance - we're kinda new to all this.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't really any Windows/Linux comparisons written up right now. The most commonly used features work on both, but there are some more esoteric things available for each that haven't been ported (Linux has a lot more of those). Since you're not planning to use even the more common ones right now, I wouldn't worry about it.

It won't run as a service, but it is reliable and will restart the server as needed, though you may need to tweak some Windows settings to prevent error messages from popping up and requiring human intervention.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
starfall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks zebranky!

we'll give it a shot !

( <-- wonders what a windows service is .. )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: