logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to restart an NWN server properly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
superfly2000

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 21:39    Post subject: How to restart an NWN server properly Reply with quote

Hello.

So - I have an NWN server and also I am running NWNX of course...and then also the ODBC plugin. Connected to that is an MySQL database.

My question is: Is there any difference between restarting the server by just closing down the NWserver appliaction and letting the NWNX watchdog start up the server automatically after some time OR closing down NWNX first...and then NWserver.....and then starting NWNX from the start so that it starts the server again.

I think I might just be imagining things here but we do have some problems with ATS crafting skill points not being saved between restarts....only applying to new crafters.

This might also be totally another problem that is something with the module itself, because I am pretty sure the ATS system we use also use objects in the PC's inventory to save some things...not sure what.

Anyway...if restarting in different ways has an effect on how the database connection works that would be interesting to know.

Thanks.
axs

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Server don't run OnLeave script for players on shutdown.
So it's better to save pc data also in intervals.
superfly2000

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the PC's are saved in intervals...so that should be alright with that. I always try to make sure that there are no players on the server when I restart it.

I was just wondering about the database connection...or possibly even if lets say the module is using an object in a PC's inventory as the "database".

Actually...a server crash might actually make the problem...not sure we have had any crashes though...don't think so...and this losing of crafting points problem still exist.

I am still unsure if this is even associated with NWNX or ODBC at all though...
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

And before it worked or you just "installed" it?

If worked before, first question you should ask yourself should be: "what changed?" but tell us too Very Happy
superfly2000

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it never worked. I mean the "bug" arises some times after a restart. It has always been like this. Even when hosted by others.

When you start out crafting I tell my players that you must just craft a little bit and then see if your points stay....and if they do...THEN continue crafting...

Once you get past that first restart (with your points intact) the crafting points never go away after that.

That is why I started to suspect maybe it is something about that...about the restarts I mean.

But I don't know...it could be just about anything...

Actually if this was about problems with the database you would probably loose all your crafting points every time...so probably this question has nothing to do in the NWNX forum (?)....

Taking a 5 day vacation now. See ya Smile
Fireboar

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a transaction? Check the nwnx_odbc logs for BEGIN TRANSACTION with no paired COMMIT. If you have an open transaction and the server crashes, none of the SQL queries run since the BEGIN TRANSACTION will have any effect.
superfly2000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireboar....it doesn't appear so...I am not 100% sure about theese things though...

Anyway I THINK I might have solved it now.

What I need to do is to close down NWNX first and THEN the server. Then start NWNX and let that start up the nwserver.

Otherwise I suspect something get borked with the database. Also NWNX registers that as a "crash" if you close down the server manually...

Does that make sense?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: