logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

table design question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DM_Vecna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:33    Post subject: table design question Reply with quote

Well I finally got NWNX up and running. Thanks to those that helped!!!

Knowing a fair bit about scripting I am really pleased to be incorporating some wonderful systems like persistent journals into my PW.

But now I have moved on to switch over the Personal Reputation system found on the vault from the Bioware database to NWNX. By copying a lot of what the journal system does I dont think this is going to be that hard Smile

But in creating a new table for this I ran into a question.
My table will have the following columns.
-ID
-Player account
-player Character name
-NPC
-a historic value determined by past interaction. (will be adjusted up and down)

Now am I better leaving these as they are and adding a new line for each new NPC that the PCs might interact with? This could easily become 70 NPCs for each PC.

Or am I better making a column for each NPC so that each PC will only have one line with 70 columns for the various NPCs each containing their historic value.

Thanks so much!
Fireboar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first option is better. You really don't want to be adding a new coulmn for every NPC you create, and most of these values will be zero. I suggest, however, you make use of a link table.

player:
- id
- account
- character name

- npc
- reaction

Have reputation.player_id and reputation.npc a composite primary key for reputation, and player.id a primary key for player. player.id should be in a one-to-many relationship with reputation.player_id.

Then you can store the player id on the player as a local variable, and use a query on the reputation table. You could also use joins to eliminate the need to store player ID, but I find a lot of things work well if players each have their own row in a "players" table, and other systems link in from there using a unique ID for each person, therefore storing player ID as a local variable is the cleanest and most efficient way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: