logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 13:01    Post subject: MS Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried compiling the nwnx project under this?

My work has decided that we will be using this tool for our Automation projects, (software testing) as such, we will be getting formal training in it.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is capable of being used for nwnx development?

I've always wanted to get started on making a nwnx plugin, but never knew how.
If work is gonna give training in this app, then perhaps this will give me the push I need.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 13:11    Post subject: Re: MS Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1? Reply with quote

Baaleos wrote:
Has anyone tried compiling the nwnx project under this?

My work has decided that we will be using this tool for our Automation projects, (software testing) as such, we will be getting formal training in it.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is capable of being used for nwnx development?

I've always wanted to get started on making a nwnx plugin, but never knew how.
If work is gonna give training in this app, then perhaps this will give me the push I need.

Haven't tried the beta - but will be upgrading when it's available.
C, C++ have both had major overhauls (apparently/and about time) to better mesh with the IDE. A lot of it will be related to .NET, but the existing stuff should work just as well, if not better.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:07    Post subject: Build Errors? Reply with quote

Just tried building some of the nwnx plugins from the solution explorer in Beta 1.

They all failed - Saying that, I have never managed to build one b4, so not sure If I have to specify some settings?

They all have a red x inside their folder, listing a folder called External Dependencies.

Waiting for the project/solution to re-open, so I can quote some error message during the build.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1>------ Build started: Project: Areas, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Build started 21/08/2009 13:13:42.
1>_PrepareForBuild:
1> Touching ".\Debug\lastbuild.timestamp".
1>cl : Command line error D8016: '/ZI' and '/Ob1' command-line options are incompatible
1>
1>Build FAILED.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.85
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Zebranky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never managed to make NWNX2 build in anything later than VS6, so good luck! NWNX4 should probably be able to build with minor tweaking, but I don't know what's changed in '10 (to be honest, this is the first I've heard of it at all).

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, vs2010 is only out in beta, if you are part of the MSDN you can get it on beta, as our company has.

Lol - Sitting here in work, trying to compile neverwinter nights related stuff. Lol

If anyone finds a method of getting 2010 working for nwnx sure give me a buzz.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:42    Post subject: HAHAAA Reply with quote

Fixed it !!!

2>Build succeeded.
2>
2>Time Elapsed 00:00:31.53
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Note - the one fail is the nwnx project - because I tried listing it as a dependancy of the areas project - but forgot to do the same steps for the areas project (listed below) for it.

To fix it, right click on the project/solution - for me it was the areas one.

Go to Properties,
-> C/C++
->General

and then set Debug Information Format to
Inherit from Project (or something like that - it was currently on the following setting. But once I changed it, it compiled perfectly. With alot of outputted messages etc, but It created the dll and says succeeded.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:46    Post subject: er.... weird Reply with quote

Thats odd
The nwnx_areas.dll it created is like 439kb.

The one my server is using, is 64kb.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you made a debug build and your server is using a release build?

Changing that setting does seem to help, but it's still choking horribly for me on VS2008. Downloading the 2010 beta now (fortunately, it's on MSDNAA).

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 0:18    Post subject: Re: er.... weird Reply with quote

Baaleos wrote:
Thats odd
The nwnx_areas.dll it created is like 439kb.

The one my server is using, is 64kb.

Check what dependencies you have. Looks like it's compiling in some of the MS core stuff. (possibly some of the .net stuff)
Baaleos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:23    Post subject: Starting to Reply with quote

Starting to get the hang of it now

I right clicked on the main solution, and figured out that everything was on debug mode by default.

So, Changed everything to release, and now areas plugin is 72 kb.

Anyone know what apps are good for using in debugging nwnserver.exe process?

Eg - How do you track an action in the sever, to its code/pointer location?

Do I need to know assembly language?
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, you're using it...

set your break points.
compile you dll in debug mode...

once you start the server - attach to the server process, a break point will 'start' your debugging session.

---
There is a way to configure this auto-magically in your debugging and startup options. (not sure what it is in the new IDE)
---
Zebranky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDA Pro is pretty much unmatched for offline analysis. I use Ollydbg for live debugging. Some prefer Windbg, some use IDA's debugger. And a notebook/pad of paper and a black Pilot Precise V7 pen. Your pen preferences may also vary. Wink

Mind emailing me (andrew@mercuric.net) your whole project dir? I'm still getting a few errors even in VS 2010, though it's much better than '08. Rather than reinventing the wheel...

@Gryphyn: Eww, VS's native debugging... leaves much to be desired. I suppose it's another option, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially as Ollydbg and Windbg are both free.

Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:

@Gryphyn: Eww, VS's native debugging... leaves much to be desired. I suppose it's another option

2010 has 'said' that they have made improvements. But like I said there IS one already available (and paid for / will be paid for).

Depends what you want to use it for. For me, it's simply a 'walk-through' of lines of code as they run - and checking on the 'current' values.

You guys practicing voodoo... Mr. Green

@Zebranky, have you looked at EasyHook yet? - later/.NET alternate to MadChook & Detours. I've got it working, hooked to 'exported' functions (eg createfile)- not o'fey enough with C++ to get the 'function' pointer stuff to work. (every plug-in could be compiled into a single executable - launcher & self injector)
What I'm missing is a typedef to describe / discover a function site (eg Get/SetLocalString)

Cheers
Gryphyn
Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:
IDA Pro is pretty much unmatched for offline analysis. I use Ollydbg for live debugging. Some prefer Windbg, some use IDA's debugger. And a notebook/pad of paper and a black Pilot Precise V7 pen. Your pen preferences may also vary. Wink

Mind emailing me (andrew@mercuric.net) your whole project dir? I'm still getting a few errors even in VS 2010, though it's much better than '08. Rather than reinventing the wheel...

@Gryphyn: Eww, VS's native debugging... leaves much to be desired. I suppose it's another option, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially as Ollydbg and Windbg are both free.

I still get lots of Warnings when compiling.
Are Warnings acceptable/normal, when compiling in VS2006?

If its Errors your getting opposed to Warnings, I will send you a zip of my project, but to be honest, its pretty much as it was, out of svn.

Only things I changed was the Mode from Debug to Release, and the Debugging setting in C - as shown above in the screenshot.

This gets a functional DLL compiled, but does give lots of warnings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: