logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neverwinter Nights Logs - Better?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baaleos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 14:37    Post subject: Neverwinter Nights Logs - Better? Reply with quote

Would anyone be able to make a plugin, that hooks onto the nwn log function, and have it output to an html instead of txt file?

I think it would be great if Player Text, Login Events, Logout Events etc, could be highlighted, hyperlinked, or shown in a different method than a bland txt file.

Know it would probably take abit of effort to script something like this.

Since it more a less involves editing the string that is being wrote to include html tags etc infront and after the string, not to mention changing the outputted file extension to html instead of txt.

I have only minor experience with memory editing etc, and have no clue on how to start a nwnx plugin, lack of tutorials etc,
But think it would be a nice addition, if the log files could be spruced up.
virusman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just parse the existing log files and produce HTML files.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything around that does this - eg a Community App?

Simplist option, usually the best I suppose.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11418?

Edit: Of course, silly me, the link is dead by now. I should have it saved somewhere, though.

Edit 2: Glad I never delete anything. Razz
Got it up at http://artemis.mercuric.net/parselog.zip

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?

Last edited by Zebranky on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:03; edited 1 time in total
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our players have made all kinds of log parsers. You can see some examples here:
http://highergroundpoa.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=software

Funky
Disco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log files are a pain in the arse for daily use, to be honest. Why don't you log critical stuff to a database and make some sort/search script in PHP?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Generally Speaking Reply with quote

Generally Speaking, I take the odd gander at my log files to check for the things that I may not have expected to find.

For instance, the other day, I was checking the log files, and saw someone bragging about how theyre character got glitched, and has 245 STR.

Not entirely sure how they got it, but now I know that I should keep an eye on this player to see if they replicate it, and if they know an exploit of how it happened.

Plus Log files are useful, especially the nwnx_chat ones, for getting to the bottom of Player Arguments, who said what, who did what etc.

Can anyone recommend a windows log parser? The ones I tried from funky's link didnt seem to work when I loaded a server log in.

One returned
Date Not found Ignoring - for every line in the log file - when the date was actually shown in the log.

Im wondering if maybe the logs were formatted differently when that parser was wrote?
Zebranky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think we both assumed you meant client logs (which was kind of silly, given the venue). I don't know of any server log parsers, but I'd just use grep.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grep?

Whats Grep? Lol
Barking_Mad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

grep. I use sed which you can also get a binary for windows if you wish.

I use it to parse game logs to XML format, then use XSL styling. I've been considering having it dump into my MySQL DB though, haven't really found the need yet. Being able to hook the log formatting would be neat, there is an element of information degeneracy with NWN logs that makes isolating some patterns difficult without manual editing, because you need to know the context of that message or peice of information.
If it was possible to hook the output formats to remove that degeneracy/ambiguity, i'd be happier. But it's really not worth a great deal of effort :p

MySQL would be better for a server, especially if you wanted more advanced text searching and analysis. But again, you would suffer some from the same ambiguities if you wanted to parse and seperate data fields.
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:07    Post subject: Re: Generally Speaking Reply with quote

Baaleos wrote:

Can anyone recommend a windows log parser? The ones I tried from funky's link didnt seem to work when I loaded a server log in.

Those are client log parsers, most of which are designed to parse damage data from gaming sessions. I only offered them up as an example of log parsing, for you to look at and perhaps base yours off of. Most look for particular input keywords to indicate partymembers, etc - they're highly specialized and won't work on just any text file.

Funky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: