logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWN1-->NWN2 PW Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcraig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:37    Post subject: NWN1-->NWN2 PW Question Reply with quote

I ended up in charge of PW for NWN1 after it was already fairly well established. Pretty much all of the scripting/database/game balancing/etc. was done before I moved beyond the rank of "player". Therefore, I have no idea what a lot of this stuff is about. My experience with the server was fixing existing bugs and maintaining our server vault, fielding play-related questions on our forums, etc. I always needed help with the database-related work.

What I'm curious about is whether or not recreating my NWN1 PW in NWN2 is feasible with the same scripts (or the same scripts with slight modification). Our server used NWNX2 coupled with NWNFF. As far as I can tell, the primary purpose of NWNFF was to add database-related functions to the NWN script source, and NWNX2 was the connection to the database. It's quite possible I'm totally wrong. However, I've been told that scripting in NWN2 is very much like NWN1. Could I import these NWNFF scripting functions and associated module scripts and tinker with them to work with NWNX4? If not I'm under the impression that reworking our creature spawning system and other important features is a little beyond the scope of my current abilities (I'm willing to learn, but time is an issue).

Obviously this question assumes somebody out there has some kind of knowledge regarding the purpose of NWNFF (Neverwinter Nights Fast French in case you're wondering). I realize this is the NWN Extender forum, not the NWNFF forum, but I'm pretty sure my question falls within the realm of an acceptable question for this environment.

Any input would be appreciated Smile
Zebranky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with NWNFF, but I think you'd be better off rewriting most systems for NWN2. The scripting language is similar to NWN1, but the actual scripts need enough changes that it usually makes more sense to rewrite most systems, using what you've learned from NWN1.

It's certainly possible to use the database straight through NWNX. Like I said, I don't know NWNFF, but I suspect it's unnecessary for what you're doing (though it may add a layer of user-friendliness).

If you need help with database-related things, many regulars on here are happy to help with DB questions. If you're familiar with IRC, #nwscript on irc.neverwinterconnections.com is also a good resource.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Fireboar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNFF is completely pointless if you're using NWNX, it's a completely different project to NWNX and it introduces database connectivity just like NWNX does. NWNX is the more mature and more active project, with far more functionality.

If you really want to move over to NWN2 (which I personally would advise against but hey) you're going to find yourself rewriting pretty much all of it, as Zebranky said.
tcraig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of wondering why our old server used NWNFF and NWNX2, thanks for the information. I'll be trying to figure some of this stuff out a bit more if it comes to rebuilding.

I understand the trepidation to make the jump to NWN2. I haven't really been too impressed so far with what I've seen as far as PWs go and with all of the patches and time spent by the community perfecting different aspects of NWN1, the decision to change seems like more work than reward. The main reasons I'm considering it at this point are because:

a) A lot of our old players seem to only be interested in a NWN2 version (although not all). The others ones were hungry for more content and DM interaction, which is obviously feasible, but I just don't see the player population going up if we stick with the old game.

b) The next patch (1.23 I believe) for NWN2 sounds like a big step forward towards improving the game. I'm going to sit back and let others test the waters first probably, just because of my lack of programming experience. This next patch has some pretty impressive changes coming, mostly focused on improving multiplayer connectivity, and I'm interested to see what happens.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys/gals. There is still a part of me that still thinks NWN1 is the best option, but I guess player number's are an issue. Our server was down for a while due to the vacuum of leadership and the time it took to get it back up and running really killed our numbers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: