logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronus88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Thanks so much for your help everyone. I got the server to "start"
Code:
lynx@Lynx-Host:~/Program_Data/NWN$ ./nwserver
Neverwinter Nights Server
Build:8109
Copyright BioWare Corp 1998-2004

Server: Loading...
Server: Running...

Now I've gotta install NWNX2 and get my server mounted/running appropriately. I'll try to do so and let you know if I get stuck again, thanks.

PS: That tab shortcut, is amazing.
Chronus88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't for the life of me figure out how to unrar a .rar file using the commands. I downloaded winrar and tried using the prompt to issue unrar commands to the file, but no luck. Anyone got an example? I assume using winrar is common procedure...

I feel so novice Razz
Fireboar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. First, about using sudo, this excerpt should sum it up quite nicely:

Quote:
If there was one habit that one should strictly abide by, it’s probably this one. Most of us come from a Windows background, and we have the notion that more power is better, so we login using our administrator accounts. Well let me tell you my friend, that this is a major reason that Windows is plagued with viruses and insecurities, half the world is currently running ‘root’ accounts!

Linux doesn't need root for most things, and good security practise dictates that running things as root (su) or temporary root (sudo) is a Bad Idea if you can help it. Which, in the vast, vast majority of cases, you can, since applications for Linux are designed to be run as a user, not as an administrator.

About the tab shortcut, I'm surprised it isn't highlighted in big bold letters in the installer! It's something I use every time I drop a terminal down, and speeds things up no end.

Finally, your question. Winrar isn't a Linux program. The clue is in the name: Winrar. Instead, you should install the rar package - it can be found in Synaptic Package Manager, but it's faster to open up a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo apt-get install rar

Now to extract a rar file to the current directory, you'd type:

Code:
rar x thefile.rar

To add a file to an archive:

Code:
rar a thefile.rar file1 file2 file3

Replacing thefile.rar with the name of the rar file in each case, and file1, file2 etc with the names of each file or folder to add. I'd recommend using 7zip for compression for NWN files though - it's a much better algorithm that I've seen compress NWN files to half the size that rar manages (~7% compression ratio - awesome!). The package name for 7zip is called "p7zip". You run it in exactly the same way as with rar, replacing "rar" with "7z".

Hope that helps.
Chronus88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: