logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not much NWNX, but... anyone uses an override/hak installer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 18:02    Post subject: Not much NWNX, but... anyone uses an override/hak installer? Reply with quote

I guess this is a reasonably tech-savvy group, so perhaps you know.

I have looked at many installation packagers now and none can do this very simple thing:

1. look where a certain program is installed via the Registry
2. install a few files in a folder within the root of said program

Shouldn't be that hard, but the 5 programs I looked at can write to teh registry but not read from it. Hssss.

Anyway, perhaps anyone of you knows the (freeware) program that fits the bill?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 15:30    Post subject: Too Complicated Reply with quote

Your overcomplicating things.

If you just want to make something that copys files to a certain directory, you can write a batch file that does that.

http://ss64.com/nt/reg.html

This link shows how to use windows NT batch commands to query Registry values,
You can then use this registry value, as a root directory for all installs/file copying in your bat file.

Eg
Copy file1 to Destination\hak
Copy file 2 to Destination\tlk

etc.

Will take a bit of work, but bat files are often overlooked, yet can be very effective.

I use bat files for Starting mySQL on system startup, php on system startup, and then a time delayed startup of NWNx and NWNserver.

Bat files rule.

Note - Im making a general assumption you are using a windows based system, in which case, if you are using linux, this may not be of use to you.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any Linux systems that have a registry... Wink

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Disco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am afraid that the 2 Linux users on our server willl have to do it manually. Was going to offer both the files and the exe anyway.

The issue I have with .bat files is that you still have to unarchive, figure out where the bat file is, etc. It's still not the "download + double click = required result" file I am looking for.

Yes, I am going for the lowest denominator.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The issue I have with .bat files is that you still have to unarchive, figure out where the bat file is, etc. It's still not the "download + double click = required result" file I am looking for.

Batch files generally operate out of the folder they are executed from.

So, if you rar a folder, which contains the bat file and the folder with the contents, and then script the bat file to copy files from
\foldername\file to registryvalue\hak\filename.hak

Its entirely possible to get it working straight out of a rar file, if you just maintain the folder structure inside the rar, and have it getting the registry values properly, its definitly do'able.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: