logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX takes alot of cpu?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maik

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 20:24    Post subject: NWNX takes alot of cpu? Reply with quote

Hi guys, i just downloaded the program but, it takes alot of cpu % I dont know how that can be. I am hosting nwn on a p4 3.2 ghz with 2048 ddr memory

But the cpu % is like 30 thats not normal.Sad
if i host without that program, then it would be like 1 agains 4 %

not full, the server then.

I hope somebody can help me.

Greetz maik
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNX itself should not even use 1% CPU... or are you talking about nwserver.exe ? Please post the files from your logs.0 directory as well.
maik

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:32    Post subject: hm Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
NWNX itself should not even use 1% CPU... or are you talking about nwserver.exe ? Please post the files from your logs.0 directory as well.
hi, umh its the nwserver.exe idd But with 4 people in the server and the cpu is much higher, so weird. Do you guys know what it can be? the cpu is oke, p4 with 3.2 ghz and 2048 ram, ddr

greetz maik
odenien

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a problem with linux servers as well. I do not think it has to do with NWNX2 as much as the combination of NWNX2 and how/what the mod is comprised. You can strip everything out and find the one thing, then remove it. Then the CPU usage goes back up. I have never seen this problem on windows though, only linux.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 13:25    Post subject: Possible Explaination Reply with quote

Some information for anyone who views this topic.

Possible causes of getting 30% constant cpu usuage :

Running srcdsfpsboost.exe or Windows Media Player in the background.

This is called Frameboosting, these applications makes the cpu fire more often, forcing more frame rate onto applications loaded. I learned about it from source games. But noticed it had the same effect on nwnserver.exe

You can, assuming your cpu is in good condition, get better performance from nwn if you open windows media player, you dont even need to load a movie or mp3, just leave it open, without loading anything, you will notice cpu usage for nwn increaseing.

Note - If your cpu is at all tempermental, then increasing the cpu rate in this method, can increase the odds of it mis'behaving, because it is firing more often.

But saying that, the chances are still low, its only if you have a busted up cpu that you need to worry. Most of us have working CPU's.

Closing windows media player will return the cpu usage to normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: