logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logging DM Actions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jibekn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 20:41    Post subject: Logging DM Actions Reply with quote

Is there any plugin floating around that allows one to log some of the DM client actions? mainly creating items, giving exp etc, things that could be a sign of a 'bad dm' ?
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, but it was already requested
Ryuujin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just use the NWScript "WriteTimeStampedLogEntry" on particularly worrysome DM commands. That's what I do on administrative commands that have a high damage potential used wrongly.
Disco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he wants to log the usual subjects: XP, level, and gold pimping.

My advise: if you suspect it happens in your DM team you'll have to do a brutal clean-up. Just fire anyone remotely smelly. Corrupt DMs are about the worst you can have on your server.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco wrote:

My advise: if you suspect it happens in your DM team you'll have to do a brutal clean-up. Just fire anyone remotely smelly. Corrupt DMs are about the worst you can have on your server.
I second that. Trust your DMs and choose only trusted ones and you don't need such a thing.
Fireboar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaDoOoW wrote:
Disco wrote:

I second that. Trust your DMs and choose only trusted ones and you don't need such a thing.

Thirded. You really shouldn't employ DMs because they're your friends, or because they seem nice enough. DMs should be employed only if you're certain they're going to do a good job that's beneficial to your server.
Timear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still would be nice for some statistics, e.g. how many XPs are donated per day on your server.
Ne0nx3r0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

For XP, I had thought about keeping a variable on one of their pc data items updated everytime they kill something, so you could have stats on how much of their XP was from killing and how much from RP... As a side effect, you'd probably notice if someone had 40,000XP from RP and 5,000 from killing.
Disco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a neat idea.
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I wrote such system 3 years ago - it was checking the difference between previous and current XP vaules, subtracting the XP gained from killing and XP lost in a resurrection/raise dead. Every difference over 100 XP was then logged in a table along with the names of DMs in the same area.
RamaDeveloper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maintain a table called tblCharacterDataHistory which has a GMT/game-time audit trail of each character's vitals (AreaID, XYZ, abilities, HP, AC, XP, HD, Align etc etc) that is added to at key points, end of combat, resting, area transitions etc. Acquires, Unaqcuires and all my placeables and doors and triggers etc. report into the database too and this applies to creatures, DM and PCs alike so I've a pretty comprehensive record of everything that goes on.

My little world is still very much in development so I don't do anything much with the data presently apart from track characters on a custom DM map with the XYZs but the idea is that a nightly job picks out large changes in things that don't normally and adds each as a priority entry of a specific type in the main event log and have it generate a report of these and other notables for human review, the audit trail can then be used to determine who else, player or DM, was online and nearby at the time and what they were up to.
Asparius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one can modify old Talus Listener to log DM actions ? It will not be perfect solution, but I guess much easier than searching for hook all Dm commands. Specific values to listen can be easily found by plain sniffer.

Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge to do it alone (I am only begineer in C++ ...)

And I strongly disagree with Disco and Shadoow opinion. First, quite often people that appear trusted are in fact not. Second, most of the servers I know suffer from lack of DM presence. It is impossible to "fire everyone that is not proven clear" without effectively crippling DM watch over the server.
Third (maybe somewhat personal) - I realy hate the idea of throwing someone out just because he is suspected . That open way to actions of player groups against a chosen DM ("lets say in unison, he will be suspected then - and fired") etc.

In my opinion, the only way to control DM honesty is at least log as much of their actions as is possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: