logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux NWNX Chat plugin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acomputerdood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:12    Post subject: Linux NWNX Chat plugin Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm trying to get:

NWNX Chat
Chat event hook
0.3.5 (04.06.2008)
http://data.virusman.ru/nwn/nwnx_chat-0.3.5-linux.rar

running, and am having some problems. I already had the "core" nwnx working, along with the "odbc" plugin (running a mysql DB) -- running the precompiled binaries, too. The combination of those two was working fine.

I then tried installing the chat plugin, and I'm getting some errors spit out on the console, and it segfaults when i exit the server. Here's my output:

Code:

$ ./nwnstartup.sh

NWNX2lib: Init
NWNX2lib: org SetString() at 0x81f41b4, new SetString() at 0xb7f556ce
NWNX2lib: org GetObj() at 0x81f40bc, new GetObj() at 0xb7f55108
* Parsing configuration...
NWN Extender v2.7-beta2
(c) 2004 by the APS/NWNX Linux Conversion Group
(c) 2007 by virusman
Based on the Win32 version (c) 2003 by Ingmar Stieger (Papillon)
and Jeroen Broekhuizen
visit us at http://www.avlis.org

* Loading modules...
HASHSET plugin Registerred.
FUNCTIONS plugin Registerred.
MNX plugin Registerred.
ODBC plugin Registerred.
CHAT plugin Registerred.
* NWNX2 activated.
Neverwinter Nights Server
Build:8109
Copyright BioWare Corp 1998-2004

Server: Loading...
Server: Running...

Server: Loading module "Dalakora Sagas CEP".........................................
Server: Module loaded
INIT(S): valid ret=0x082041ec
INIT(S): reset ignored ret=0x082041ec
exit
Server: Exiting...
NWNX2lib: Server exiting.
./nwnstartup.sh: line 20: 21662 Segmentation fault

my nwnx2.ini:
Code:

[NWNX]
disablenwnxinit=n     #Set to "y" to not enforce the NWNX!INIT requirement

[Database]
server=localhost               #name of the database server
user=user                        #username to access db
pass=password                 #password for username
db=mydb                         #database to connect to

[Debug]
debuglevel=0          #Set to 1 or higher to output successively
#                     # verbose debug information

[LogDir]
logdir=logs.0         #Set to the relative root of the log directory.

[CHAT]
chat_script=chat_script
server_script=chat_server
processnpc=1
ignore_silent=0

my logs.0/nwnx_chat.txt:
Code:

NWNX Chat version 0.3.5 for Linux.
(c) 2005-2006 by dumbo (dumbo@nm.ru)
(c) 2006-2008 virusman (virusman@virusman.ru)
! ChatProc hooked at 806839c.
! RunProc located at 8261f94.

The "INIT(S): reset ignored ret=0x082041ec exit" line is also new. I'd not seen that before adding the chat plugin.

HOWEVER: If i comment out the entire CHAT portion of the nwnx2.ini, it does NOT segfault, and I can still use the chat functions. I find that strange.

Finally, in the chat download, there seemed to be two different "include" type files. One dmb_chat.nss and a nwnx_chat.nss. I didn't include the 2nd (nwnx_chat.nss) because I didn't see any mention of it in the readme file. It also seems very simliar to the dmb one, so I figured it was an either / or thing. Everything still compiles as it should. Am I right in guessing I should go ahead and put that in?

Comments?
Fireboar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try compiling it myself if I were you. If you're unsure about how to go about it, you can use the link in my sig which will provide an easy way to compile NWNX and several plugins, including the latest nwnx_chat. Read the documentation first though!

Also, set processnpc=0, unless you really want to capture text spoken by NPCs, because it really helps performance.

chat_script.nss is an isolated script that doesn't go anywhere, it just sits there. It is run whenever someone says something. The script is defined by chat_script=[thescript] in the ini file. So for example, if you put chat_script=something the script called "something" will be run whenever someone says anything.
acomputerdood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i compiled it on our production server, but it wouldn't compile on my home/test server. i'm hoping that's what the problem is/was. anyway, if i comment out the settings in the nwnx2.ini file (even having the "[CHAT]" line all by itself causes the crash), then everything seems to be working correctly.

i thought that "processnpc=1" was needed to allow DMs posessing creatures to use the functionality? i guess its not TOO important. what about the "ignore_silent"? that's for normal DM speech, right? how hard is that on the server? i'd like to keep that one on if i could.

i set up way for players (while in game) to chat with people not in game but on a webpage. i thought that DMs would want to participate in that.
acomputerdood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, on our production server, i did get it to compile, but when it tries to load the chat plugin, i get:

ERROR: CHAT: OnCreate() failed.

EDIT: i just compiled with your install.sh script, and i'm still getting the "ERROR: CHAT: OnCreate() failed.". do you need additional information about my system? or g++ versions?
acomputerdood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, probably my last update:

on my production server, i was able to get the chat plugin working (finally) using precompiled binary in a newer shell. i know i'd tried it before, but that was in an old shell i'd had open for months. i guess i'd changed something in my terminal settings since then, and made it work.

not sure what the problem had been, but it seems to be cleared up on my end.
Fireboar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, I've never heard of the terminal being the issue! Glad you got it working anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: