logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Authentication hooks (wishlist)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jambo wrote:
]tying it to CDKeys as FunkySwerve suggested

To be clear, I only suggested that before Asparius mentioned a new vulnerability to me. It's still much better than nothing, but it isn't foolproof.

Funky
Disco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going for another, not very safe but enough for me, approach. I got a few premises:

1. Arses are not gonna spend a long time behaving well just to be able to get into somebody else's characters. 99% of them logs in with a character names "DM's Suk" and get banned before you can say 'tard'.
2. I want as little bother for the players as possible.
3. I already place a key item on each character as a way to make them truly unique (mainly use that for quest tracking). This contains the CDKEY the character was made with (not as a local var, so it's rather safe).
4. I already track each level a PC gains, including account and cdkey at that moment.

So, I first made a list of any cdkey/account combinations that have at least one level 5 character, and I also started adding new entries to that list whenever a PC reaches level 6. That takes about 3-4 hours of dedicated XP gaining if you know the server.

Whenever a PC logs in I first check if the player CDKEY matches the key on the character. If not I check my list to see if this is a known account/cdkey combi. If not I boot the player.

There's two way to activate this character with a new cdkey. You make a new one on this account and reach level 6, or you ask a DM to do it on the webpage.

This, in combination with the records we keep in the database and a daily backup system seems enoug protection for me. When poo hits the fan we can always go to fully password protected.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a similar system to Disco.
I ignore the cdkey - as this only validates the copy of the client software/install not the player, or their characters.
Mine is an encrypted passport system, with a 1xp write-back.

The premise is that any new character will have 0xp. So there is a primary check for this. Then there is some validation for point-buy, starting items etc. If these pass 1xp is given to the PC AND it is immediately saved to the server vault with an encrypted key attached. (this will validate against a value in a passport item - or in your database)

Any character returning has more than 1 xp.
Only those PC's that are validated by the encrypted key are allowed to return. (those that come from your-own server vault)

At various stages (eg OnRest, OnLevelUp) a new encryption key is generated and written-back to the server vault.
A hacked bic is useless, as some of the PC's attributes are used to generate the key. (and I'm not telling which ones, or how many Wink )

It's quick and it doesn't bother the players - they don't even know it's there for the most part. (we don't see the ones who ask about it anymore...)

Cheers
Gryphyn
Disco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does that stop from me getting into one of your players' accounts and harrass other players in their name? I think that's the issue we're dealing with here.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my post is a little off-topic then.

If it's identity theft you're guarding against, or preventing. You can only do this via an in-game authentication system.
The Player would need to enter a password to enter the game proper. A password they chose when joining the server or possibly a password they used when joining your website.
But it won't be achieved without some user interaction, were the 'real' player has to confirm who they are.
If a player gives up this info, you're back to square one again...
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:
I'm using a similar system to Disco.
I ignore the cdkey - as this only validates the copy of the client software/install not the player, or their characters.
Mine is an encrypted passport system, with a 1xp write-back.

The premise is that any new character will have 0xp. So there is a primary check for this. Then there is some validation for point-buy, starting items etc. If these pass 1xp is given to the PC AND it is immediately saved to the server vault with an encrypted key attached. (this will validate against a value in a passport item - or in your database)

I hate to break it to you, but this is easy to evade. The only way to reliably distinguish new and old characters with certainty is with an engine hack. Acaos has written one for linux, you may want to ask him if he'll share it, as I don't know if he plans to - it reveals a vulnerability in both win and lin, and is lin only.

Funky
acaos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, his method will work to validate a legal character (assuming he's following good security practices with his signing).

I did write an engine hack which lets us easily distinguish new characters from old with 100% accuracy, but a large impetus for this was so we didn't need to edit existing characters in our vault to add validation keys.

There is also a second component to the fix which prevents a method of crashing the server, which is why I have not yet released this publicly.

Unfortunately, I discovered the crash after 1.69 came out. Although I did forward it to Bioware, I don't think they will be fixing it. And it allows any malicious client to crash any server (Windows or Linux) with no defense unless they are running the fix.

Acaos
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me rephrase that: if you are relying solely on xp to determine whether or not a character is new, you're subject to being deceived, since the player can simply upload a character that's been given xp in place of the new character made during creation. From rereading your post, though, it looks like you are not simply relying on xp, since you check authentication. I'm forced to wonder why you check xp at all, however, if that's the case, instead of just checking to see if there's an authentication key, before checking its validity, which would be a more direct check.

Funky
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 0xp check is solely there for new characters.
When a character is created there is nothing to authenticate (and if you find it you know the BIC has been hacked)

And as I'm writing back the new character with 1xp - this, and any returning character, should have a valid authentication. (without validation it's not one of your server vault characters) [@Funky - I'm actually more concerned with characters with 1 or more xp]

Now if a hacked BIC was uploaded to your server vault, they would also need to hack the validation data. Now this data has been generated using a Key, known only to your server scripts, so trying to reverse engineer a cypher (without the hint of a key)... good luck.

It's just added more than exponential difficulty in hacking a BIC - they'll hit other easier servers (sorry guys Twisted Evil )

The major benefit here is that the honest players (the vast majority) don't even know that this is all happening, they don't get dialogs "Please tell me this is you" to interrupt their game play.

Cheers
Gryphyn
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

An addendum - acaos informs me you CANNOT up characters with xp as new characters. I'd been told you could, but have never tested it, so that may we be a viable test.

Funky
Jambo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really wanting to bring this one up again, but seeing the master server continuing to be it's on-going flaky self... in the end, was anyone willing to

1) hook the "alternative authentication" method NWN provides to instead fire a NWScript to handle things, as opposed to writing things to ini files?

2) Hook the server password entry box, also to call a NWScript and pass relevant details.

Again, I realize all the arguments for looking at alternatives especially due to Bioware's authentication methods even being exploitable it seems - but it's nice to have many angles where possible.

Being able to do #2 would provide a nicely passworded interface for servers, and unique passwords per user are undoubtedly the best security you can get.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been on my list for a while, but it's quite a project, since it would also involve setting up the infrastructure to act as your own authentication server.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Disco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I activated the system mentioned above last week, after collecting level 10+ character/account/cdkey combinations for a month. It took a few days of fixing fresh people, but now everything seems to work just fine.
PlasmaJohn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:
It's been on my list for a while, but it's quite a project, since it would also involve setting up the infrastructure to act as your own authentication server.

Authentication infrastructures are a solved problem. Any competent programmer should be able to build or adapt one with little trouble. Building the hooks is a specialized skill that only a small number of select people have the skill or inclination to chase down.

IMO it's only a matter of time before EA shuts down the Master Server for good. We need a real solution sooner rather than later.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just saying this because all of BioWare's systems were down last night. Wink

Point taken. There are still difficult decisions to be made about how the infrastructure is implemented. Where and how is the community master server database stored? Is it monolithic or does each server/server group have to run their own? How do new users get added to it? How does it handle CD key validation? And so on...

Not insurmountable by any means, but they're things that should be addressed before tackling implementation.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: