logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help getting MySQL stuff running
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leigt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 20:43    Post subject: Help getting MySQL stuff running Reply with quote

We've been trying to set up a Server Status page on the website for our module and have a php set up for it, module has the appropriate include files but I cannot figure out how to set up MySQL so that a DB can be created for the information to be stored where the php can get it. I tried following the documentation.

The one for using a MySQL plug in has a broken link to the plug in and says to install Control Center but I cannot find where the download for that is located.

I started running down the list of how to set it up for the ODBC plug in but when it says to delete the default User I get an access denied error from MySQL and continue to get that error when trying to type in any of the commands from that point on.

Some more specific help would be appreciated. I was able to set up the Leto plug in with no problems but all it requires is a single .dll to run. Smile

I am running MySQL 4.0.23 with NWNX2 2.5.1.0. Thanks.
dguntner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

MySQL Control Center has been discontinued. They now have MySQL Administrator in its place.

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/administrator/1.0.html

--Dave
Leigt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so where can I get the MySQL plugin? I downloaded the one from NWVault but it doesn't have the files mentioned in the Documentation file.
Leigt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking over everything again and I'm still at a loss. Can anyone point me to a step by step instruction on setting up MySQL for NWNX? One that actually works, that is. Thanks.
MacLir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 22:42    Post subject: Re: Help getting MySQL stuff running Reply with quote

Leigt wrote:
I am running MySQL 4.0.23 with NWNX2 2.5.1.0. Thanks.

Leigt wrote:
I downloaded the one from NWVault

Could you also tell me what OS you're running on? 9x, 2000, XP? At the very least, I'm assuming you're on Windows...

Also, NWNx 2.5.1 is old I'd recommend you to get 2.61. Your MySQL needs updated as well to 4.1.8. Then download the ODBC plugin, version 0.9.2.3. Control Center is still availible on MySQL's dev site under the 'Other Software' heading. But as dguntner said, MyAdministrator is the latest one.

If you still have trouble after upgrading, let me know and I'll post a step by step for you using the newer apps.
MacLir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNx Downloads

I link directly to the front page before I hit the forums... The side navbar on the front page has the above listed link. Smile

The MySQL site is setup sligtly odd IMO, so below are the links to the 2 parts spoke of earlier.

MySQL 4.1.9

MySQL Administrator 1.0.19
Leigt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, thanks. Smile
Leigt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got the new stuff installed. I have an instance called MySQL running. I created a new account in it.

I have the following in the NWNX.ini under [ODBC2]

source = MySQL
server = localhost
user = nwserver
pwd = nwpass
db = nwn

With that being the information I created for the new account, except the db. I'm guessing that's just what the name of the db will be when I create it. Now, when I try to log in as DM it crashes nwserver.exe Am I missing something I should do first?

By the way, it created a table nicely using the sqlite but I have to use MySQL itself for the php script to work properly.

Oops, and yes I'm using WinXP. Smile And all the versions of stuff mentioned above.

Just looking at the user settings... do I need to set "privileges' or something?
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:46    Post subject: privilages Reply with quote

yes you will have to grant privlages on the mysql for the server you are running the web page on. so it can access the db and get the information.
Leigt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no problem with the server running the website, as far as I know. The problem is that the module crashes when I try to log in to it as DM or as player with everything running and the above settings in the NWNX.ini. Sad
Leigt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I added a "schema" called nwn using the administrator, since it says it's the same as a database. I added all privileges to nwserver for nwn. Still crashing. It crashes at the load area screen and crashes for both DM and player. Any advice would be very helpful, thanks.
Lokey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how MySQL or NWNx can crash the NWServer though, that's weird...sounds like the permissions issue we're having with WinServer2k3 (see Fire's post in the Windows forum).

There are many ways to configure MySQL and so on, still need to know what OS you're running, that's important.

ODBC: there's a test connection button in the setup--does that work provided the MySQL server is running?

With MySQL server running:
Command prompt in mysql/bin (stuff that's all cap isn't case sensitive by the way):
mysql

If that gives a cannot connect error, try:
mysql -u root

If you get some sort of message and a mysql> prompt you're good:

use mysql
Should give database changed.

SELECT User, Host, Password FROM users;

Should give you something like
root localhost [encrypted pass if there is one]
root % [encrypted pass if there is one]
(blank) localhost [encrypted pass if there is one]

These are admin level users.

The database level permissions are in the db table of the same database
SELECT Db, User, Host, Select_priv FROM db;

I get this:
+-------+------+-----------+-------------+
| Db | User | Host | Select_priv |
| ns3 | nwnx | localhost | Y |
| ns4 | nwnx | localhost | Y |
So you should see
nwn nwserver localhost Y
if you're configured properly.

This won't fix your problem, just make sure MySQL is up and running properly. It's a place to start though. Oh and MySQL is fine with multiple users (NWNx and your web server).
Leigt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> ODBC: there's a test connection button in the setup

setup for what?

My bin folder is in MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\ That wouldn't be a problem would it?

and when I try mysql or mysql -u root it gives me Access Denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Sad
Lokey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you install an ODBC driver? Though NWNxODBC2 has it's own MySQL bridge, you might need for other apps, like MySQL admin you mention. That app should be able to do the same things as the command-line interface, it looks friendly enough to figure out easily.

Permissions are stored in the mysql database. users is the db for global users (like root or an admin), db is the one for permissions on a per database level. Haven't used that app though, but it should be able to do the job.

Shame they stopped supporting the Control Center, makes it a lot easier to pick up on MySQL. Did you use a password? Could try to sign-in like so with the user/pass you use for the Admin proggy too:

mysql -u username -p password
Leigt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only "schema"s, which the documentation says is the same thing as dbs, and there are only mysql and test schemas to begin with. I created a new one called nwn. I could only find them in the privileges window. It does look friendly and as far as I can tell it works fine, but NWNX doesn't like it for some reason.

Also, after I used the aps_demo module NWNX continues showing "aps_demo" as the module name even though I load my own in its place. Is that normal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: