logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guidance Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urlord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:12    Post subject: Guidance Please Reply with quote

I am starting from scratch setting up a new NWN2 Server with NWNX4, MySQL and several other plug-ins. The big difference is that I am setting it up on Windows XP Pro x64. I got rid of the Vista x64 because I was running into several incompatibility issues.

All I have done so far is install NWN2 and MotB with both patched to the latest. Are there any pitfalls I need to watch out for or anything special I need to do? This is my first machine running on an x64 platform.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how NWNX4 1.08 work on x64, but I am interested to hear.

If you run into problems, I can send you a preliminary NWNX4 which uses detours instead of madcodehook.
Urlord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into problems with 1.08 on Vista x64 already. If you are saying that the problems may have been from it being 64-bit and not necessarily because it was Vista, then I would like to use the preliminary version you have from the start. So long as it will run as a service. I have frequent power outages where I am and running as a service is very important.

If you need to email the prelim version, send it to Urlord@Wizardstorm.com

I will take good notes and perhaps you can use them in your documentation.

Thanks,
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the first preview release of 1.09 here:

NWNX 1.09 preview 1

It uses detours and does not use DDE any more, so I am quite interested to hear how it works on your new system.
Quintar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works like a charm on my X64 Windows Server System (the NWNX4 for Wine didn't work with me) but the .09 preview does work start/stop/restart what i have to try is the Plugins, but I don't see a problem there
Urlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been sick so this was on hold for a couple of weeks. This weekend I am going to try to set things up. I have a couple of questions, if someone could assist. I do know that a couple of these questions have nothing to do with NWNX, but all you guys are so knowledgeable, I thought I would ask anyway.

MySQL issue - I used the MySQL Data Migration App to copy the database from my old database (x32 MySQL 5.0) to the new database (x64 MySQL 5.1). According to the Application, everything copied over fine (Tables and Stored Procedures), however when I open the Query Tool, I see the Tables but not the Stored Procedures. The new query tool does look a little different than the old one. Any Ideas?

Multiple Servers - I want to have two instances of NWN running on the new Win XP x64 server (one per CPU core), but both servers connected to the same DB. Is this possible? If so, can someone give me some guidance? I have never been able to get two servers running on the same machine before, much less connecting to the same DB.

Router Ports - In addition to the two servers running on the new box (168.192.1.5, ports 5121 & 5122), I want to set up a dev/test server on the old machine (168.192.1.4, port 5130) with its own dev/test database. What changes to the Router ports will I need to make? Will I have to set the production DB and the dev/test DB on different ports?

I spent a lot of money on the new production server and I want to make sure I get it set up the best I can. I can think of no better group of people I would rather take advice from.

Thanks in advance.
abraxas77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urlord wrote:
MySQL issue - I used the MySQL Data Migration App to copy the database from my old database (x32 MySQL 5.0) to the new database (x64 MySQL 5.1). According to the Application, everything copied over fine (Tables and Stored Procedures), however when I open the Query Tool, I see the Tables but not the Stored Procedures. The new query tool does look a little different than the old one. Any Ideas?

Stored Procedures of a given name may exist in only one schema. Therefore, if you have the same procs in a different schema, they won't migrate to the new schema. My procs are generated on module load (if they do not already exist). So, for me, the problem resolved itself after removing my original procs. You might try copying the text for your procs into a text doc; delete the proc; then create a new proc using the copied text ... (hopefully that made sense).

Urlord wrote:
Multiple Servers - I want to have two instances of NWN running on the new Win XP x64 server (one per CPU core), but both servers connected to the same DB. Is this possible? If so, can someone give me some guidance? I have never been able to get two servers running on the same machine before, much less connecting to the same DB.

It is possible, yes (as far as I know) ... but ... be aware that you'll be sharing the same data between each server. You would be prone to errors where one server might update a field set by the other server. This could cause both servers to find unexpected returns to their queries. One solution is to use the LOCK and UNLOCK statements to prevent data being accessed from one server while the other server is modifying that data. However, this method may require drastic changes to your nwn scripts. click for info using LOCK & UNLOCK statements

Another solution is to setup a MySQL instance for each server using Replication to share data. There are several ways to implement replication in MySQL. The right one depends on your specific needs as a developer.
click here for info using MySQL Replication

Urlord wrote:
Router Ports - In addition to the two servers running on the new box (168.192.1.5, ports 5121 & 5122), I want to set up a dev/test server on the old machine (168.192.1.4, port 5130) with its own dev/test database. What changes to the Router ports will I need to make? Will I have to set the production DB and the dev/test DB on different ports?

No, if both machines are running local instances of MySQL your queries shouldn't need to pass through your router ... just make sure you specify it as such in your xp_mysql.ini (serverhost = localhost (or 127.0.0.1) NOT 168.192.###.###).

:: Lead Script Design :: The World of Paladium II ::
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: