logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my gameserver provider doesn't let me to run mysql

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabonacorp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 21:55    Post subject: my gameserver provider doesn't let me to run mysql Reply with quote

hi folks,

my game server provider doesn't let me to run mysql, so i have to find another solution to run my nwn1 pw with external database.

do you have any idea what should i use with nwnx2 and odbc (linux server of course)?

maybe a solution to access a database via internet, but i think this will be slow and make some lag. what's yours opinion about this?

thank you very much for your help.

gabonacorp
Tenkawa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqlite
gabonacorp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenkawa wrote:
sqlite

it means that is there sqlite for linux?

the linux nwnx2.ini doesn't have this option...
william_hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people are on your server? If you have tons, maybe you have to worry about bandwidth losses to SQL communication, but I think it won't be much of an issue, really. Its not like you are making DB queries endlessly most of the time anyhow, is it? Why not try hosting the DB locally and connecting the mod to it?
virusman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there was an experimental build of NWNX ODBC2 for SQLite. I'll try to compile it in a few days.
gabonacorp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

william_hunter wrote:
How many people are on your server? If you have tons, maybe you have to worry about bandwidth losses to SQL communication, but I think it won't be much of an issue, really. Its not like you are making DB queries endlessly most of the time anyhow, is it? Why not try hosting the DB locally and connecting the mod to it?

maximum 20 players. i am a newbie about mysql, what you think, is it tons? Smile
gabonacorp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
Well, there was an experimental build of NWNX ODBC2 for SQLite. I'll try to compile it in a few days.

wow, that would be greatfull!
william_hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabonacorp wrote:
william_hunter wrote:

maximum 20 players. i am a newbie about mysql, what you think, is it tons? Smile

You should be able to host an SQL server on a different site than the game host with 20 or fewer players, and see very little (if any) lag from the SQL to game host communications. The connections between game host and server are limited in most situations anyhow. Are you running lots of database intensive scripting?
gabonacorp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

william_hunter wrote:
You should be able to host an SQL server on a different site than the game host with 20 or fewer players, and see very little (if any) lag from the SQL to game host communications. The connections between game host and server are limited in most situations anyhow. Are you running lots of database intensive scripting?

no, i don't think so. we use hcr2, so usually i use non-dropable item for store persistent datas for the PCs. hcr2 use it sometimes, and i need it for some DM tools. Honestly, our PW is in progress, and i don't know exactly how we will use the external database, but our scripters want to be sure about this issue, because in the future it will show them the way and the possibilities.
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your pw isn't already running, then you probably aren't THAT committed to staying with your provider, right? I would hunt down one that lets you use MySQL if at all possible. You aren't hosting with DS are you?

Funky
gabonacorp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunkySwerve wrote:
If your pw isn't already running, then you probably aren't THAT committed to staying with your provider, right? I would hunt down one that lets you use MySQL if at all possible. You aren't hosting with DS are you?

Funky

i live in Hungary, what is a 10 million country. unfortunately we don't have to many game server provider with normal cost, so if it is possible i would like to find some solution in this place.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabonacorp wrote:
FunkySwerve wrote:

Funky

i live in Hungary, what is a 10 million country. unfortunately we don't have to many game server provider with normal cost, so if it is possible i would like to find some solution in this place.

Will they host ANY database? (if not MySQL).
If they won't host, you're left with any of the embedded databases (like SQLite) that becomes part of the plugin. - you need to write the plugin.

I've posted code for the SQLServer database. This is based on ODBC, someone would need to 're-do' the driver/connection sting section for your choice database

Cheers
Gryphyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: