logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VAULTster Linux Potential Bugs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
framerate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 23:06    Post subject: VAULTster Linux Potential Bugs? Reply with quote

My project is doing some work to test systems using NWN, and I've never played it or used the engine before.

So far I've found the tools pretty complete and NWNX very feature rich. I got Vaulster hooked up with relative ease, but I'm noticing a lot lacking from the documentation listed on this site and some bugs with it's implementation.

Maybe the one listed on "downloads" is not the most recent?

For example, the nwnx2.ini edits says to put a section like this:

Code:
[VAULTSTER]
Port           = 5100
Path           = C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\servervault
Key            = yourkey
Password       = yourpassword
Startserver    = 1
Validateclient = 1
Count          = 1
Server1        = nwn.somehost.org

Looking at the source for VAULTster, we see these lines:

Code:
confKey = "Vaultster";

or
Code:
startServer = atoi ((*nwnxConfig)[confKey]["startServer"].c_str());

So when we start the program, it won't start because 'Vaulster' is not the same as VAULTSTER when it comes to linux. This was a relatively easy fix, though. I also must note the capitalization of the lines in the ini is wrong, should be all lowercase. Path does not exist, as I believe it's here:

Code:
string vault = (*nwnxConfig)[confKey]["vault"].c_str();

You get my point Smile

I keep thinking I have the wrong download, or perhaps I'm missing the proper linux documentation, as everyone else seems to be having no problems here.

Overall, this wouldn't be a big deal and I'd just try to get the changes in an updated version (if the author still exists) or an updated documentation (I can help if needed).

But when I start NWNX I get "Starting 0 Known Servers" in the vaulster log.

Code:
// load in the known servers
      if (validate) {
         int nr = atoi ((*nwnxConfig)["Link"]["count"].c_str());
         Log (0, "o Loading in %d known servers.\n", nr);
         for (int i = 1; i <= nr; i++) {
            char buf[256];
            sprintf (buf, "server%d", i);
            string name = (*nwnxConfig)["Link"][buf].c_str();
            Log (0, "o %s: %s\n", buf, name.c_str());
            server.addKnownServer (name);
         }

So I need a section called "Link" (which I also missed in the documentation?) containing "count" and "server1" etc. These were in the VAULSTER section in the example ini, so I moved them to '[Link]' as so:

Code:
[Link]
count          = 1
server1        = vault.myfakeserver.net

But this doesn't work, even though it seems to match the source code. Perhaps I'm misreading someplace?

How do I get it to load in my server properly at startup?

Also, the documentation lists a nwnx_vaulster.ini file to be copied, but is not included in the download. Maybe this is the missing piece (although I feel that this is just outdated documentation).

I appreciate the help guys, we're on a deadline (I work at an actual development studio, so it's my ass if I can't get this working Smile ) so any info to help me get this figured out would be appreciated...

And please let me know if the original author/doc author is still around.

I'd love to get these changes updated.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original author discontinued Vaultster (in fact, NWN altogether), and the Linux version is a bit neglected, compared to it's Windows counterpart.

The idea is cool, but the plugin apparently never had the same level of quality assurance or commitment to bugfixes and documentation like the others...

As you seem to understand C, you should be able to get it working, though. I think it's only some small parts here or there that are not consistent or buggy, but I think nothing major. If you get it to work, may I ask you to post your findings in this thread ? Maybe the download can be updated and save others some headache in the future.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're at it, by the way, I have several changes I made for Win32 Vaultster for CoPaP. PM me if you want them, and I'll diff my code against the last release.
framerate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:
While you're at it, by the way, I have several changes I made for Win32 Vaultster for CoPaP. PM me if you want them, and I'll diff my code against the last release.

We elected against using Vaulster for the time being, ended up working on a shared system where everything was running off the same harddrive anyways. Lucky for us Smile

I may revisit this, though, after our project is finished and see if I can't at least clean up the linux version and give back to the community a bit. There seems to be (at least a little) interest in this happening, at least.
jamincollins

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we could get the documentation/download page updated to indicate that it does not work under Linux? If it does could someone please provide a working example?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: