logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MySQL Vs SQLite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 17:12    Post subject: MySQL Vs SQLite Reply with quote

Sorry for what is possibly a very basic question - but while I understand the theory behind database well enough, my practical experience is limited Smile

I am just about to set up a test server for an NWN2 persistent world, I have downloaded NWNx4 and am ready to go - however, I am not sure whether to use MySQL or SQLite as the database.

I currently have an NWN PW running MySQL as the back end (although I am not particularly comfortable using MySQL) For my previous test servers, I used access as a back end, mainly because I am much more familiar with the Access front end and tools, and am therefore more confident to manipulate the data in the DB when I need to. However, this server will probably turn into a production server sometime soon, so I don't want to have to make too many changes ...

I seem to recall that (at one point) SQLite was not recommended if more than one server would be involved. While we are developing a single server at the moment, the eventual plan is to set up a second and third server each with their own part of the world on. In each case they would have their own DB and we would share data between the DBs when characters migrated between servers. (Unless we get a real DB whizz join the team) However, I suspect there will need to be other contacts between the DBs at some point.

Is MySQL better in that context? or SQLite?

(I am assuming here, that there is a visual tool that will let me inspect the data in the SQLite DB when I need to)
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say SQLite would work, but if you already suspect that more servers will follow and that you will want to share data between them, MySQL might be more suitable. After all, you are going to spend quite some time with your PW anyway, so the additional work required to get MySQL running is negligible.

Both databases have their GUIs, but I think the tools that come with MySQL are much more advanced, at least the free ones.
JohnB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
Bal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are both systems ANSI compliant?
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends which version of the standard you are talking about. Why don't you just visit their websites and read what they have to say about this ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: