logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX Lite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 21:06    Post subject: NWNX Lite Reply with quote

I'm considering making a "Lite" version of NWNX for SP and non-PW MP modules. NWNX is usually associated with dedicated servers, PWs, databases and a lot of difficulties. That is why it's not as popular as it might be.
If there was a Lite version, NWNX could completely compensate a lack of certain functions since its plugins would work on almost any configuration (SP/MP/PW, Win32/Linux).
So the question is: does anyone need it?
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 23:22    Post subject: Re: NWNX Lite Reply with quote

Yes, especially some of your new 'event' traps.

But the whole thing needs to be 'hands-free'.
ie You install it -automatically- and it's running when the mod launches.
This has been the stalling point for NWNXJr. Having to install and configure NWNX first, even if the rest is done for you.

The other aspect is that you need to eliminate plugins (for a Lite version). That is, not remove the functionality but only have a single 'executable' - it needs to be self-contained and version specific. A SP developer can pick a version and go with it. Then the Player can know which version works with which mods. Potentially this means a client could have several versions installed to enable them to play different SP mods.
--at this point I might concede to a 'controller' and 'version' plugins, so everything can start from a common launch-point, but all of the 'work' bit is in a single plugin.

But don't let me stop you, remember I said "Yes" Wink

Cheers
Gryphyn
virusman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 23:48    Post subject: Re: NWNX Lite Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:
But the whole thing needs to be 'hands-free'.
ie You install it -automatically- and it's running when the mod launches.
This has been the stalling point for NWNXJr. Having to install and configure NWNX first, even if the rest is done for you.
That's exactly what I mean by "Lite". A module builder utilizes new functionality, players download NWNX Lite and/or plugins as a part of distribution. NWNX Lite must be quiet and invisible to players.

Gryphyn wrote:
The other aspect is that you need to eliminate plugins (for a Lite version). That is, not remove the functionality but only have a single 'executable' - it needs to be self-contained and version specific. A SP developer can pick a version and go with it. Then the Player can know which version works with which mods. Potentially this means a client could have several versions installed to enable them to play different SP mods.
--at this point I might concede to a 'controller' and 'version' plugins, so everything can start from a common launch-point, but all of the 'work' bit is in a single plugin.
I don't want to break the current plugin architecture and compatibility. Otherwise it'd require NWNX developers or module builders to edit and recompile NWNX numerous times in different configurations.
I'm thinking of NWNX plugin packages. So you'd basically need to choose a set of plugins and put a configuration file, then make a rar (or other type of) package. As soon as a player chooses the module, the corresponding set of plugins (package) will get loaded.

I have to note, though, that this is possible only with NWN1, since NWN2 is protected by SecuROM and cannot be hooked easily.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:11    Post subject: Re: NWNX Lite Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
I don't want to break the current plugin architecture and compatibility. Otherwise it'd require NWNX developers or module builders to edit and recompile NWNX numerous times in different configurations.
I'm thinking of NWNX plugin packages. So you'd basically need to choose a set of plugins and put a configuration file, then make a rar (or other type of) package. As soon as a player chooses the module, the corresponding set of plugins (package) will get loaded.

I have to note, though, that this is possible only with NWN1, since NWN2 is protected by SecuROM and cannot be hooked easily.

Ahhh, Idea A bit like how NWN2 handles 2DA's etc - a set of plugins, contained in a 'compressed' file. -> I'm adding complexity here, but this would enable the plugins to be loaded as resources, rather than from physical files on disk. --Potential-- thus simplifying it for the end consumer.

It does mean that dev's would need a 'packaging' tool - be it RAR, or some custom application. --Potential-- to include HAKs and any other prereqs for the mod. (overkill?)

OK, I'm done...or else...

Cheers
Gryphyn
virusman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no interest on NWN Scripting forums.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
Still no interest on NWN Scripting forums.

NWN Scripting - is in hiatus, waiting for 1.69
NWN2 Scripting - still want to "close a door"

try
NWN2 Developers - old NWNers pop by every now-and-then.

you could try NWN /NWN2 Toolset - where the dev's hang out.

Cheers
Gryphyn
virusman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to flood the forums with similar topics. NWN1 Scripting forum seems to be the place where people who might need such a thing might be.
I'll wait a few days, and if I get no response, I'll abandon the idea. Making something that nobody needs would be pointless. Smile
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I like the idea of client side NWNX, since developers for single player modules could do a lot more things with it.

Thinking about the possible negative side effects, I always refrained from trying it, though. My main reason is that a lot of users will not want to install extra executeables on their machine just for playing a module. Of course, if it was a de facto standard for single player modules, things would be different. But I doubt it would reach the "market share" of it's server counterpart and thus becoming that standard.

I have a feeling that you might get not the feedback you expected because most developers feel the same, not because the idea is bad.
scsijon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

as someone who's just starting serious coding with NWN1 and working on a SP Module.

I'd not heard of NWNX until I clicked on a "wierd" link.

So it's a Yes Please (with honey on your crumpets).

The idea of a "beginners addin" means I can make use of all these new and nice functions if I need them, without having to learn a "whole lot of extra stuff" without "overloading an already sore brain" by having to learn a lot of extra stuff on top of the extra stuff I have to learn anyway.

jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: