logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combined query in MySQL and more

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 14:17    Post subject: Combined query in MySQL and more Reply with quote

Hey folks!

I'd like to do this:

* PC enters module, and I check if he is assigned a database ID (stored on an item called Journal)

* If not I make a new record, collect the ID and store it on the PC's Journal and save his character.

* If I find the ID I update the record with some data

I am used to work with MySQL from PHP and in that case I'd simply fetch the last insert ID with another query (well, there's a dedicated funstion, but nvm that), but I am not sure how trustworthy this is in NWN(X). I'd also prefer to keep the number of database queries to the absolute minimum.

Thanks!
My question: what's the most reliable & efficent way of implementing this?
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do this is in a transaction, I'd say the result can be trusted. If not... well, other servers could insert data in the meantime. The probability is low, but not zero.

Do you really need the ID ? Maybe you could get rid of it entirely. If not, you could fetch the newly made entry using Playername + Pcname, which should be unique in that table. You could use that to safely identify the record that was just inserted.
Disco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of using the loginname + timestamp, but a simple ID is quite elegant. It's all about efficiency, and transferring large amounts of INT(6) s is a bit cheaper than strings of 30/40 characters. I need to retrieve the ID only once, and I need to use it very often afterwards for INSERTS and UPDATES.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is negligible.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco wrote:
I was thinking of using the loginname + timestamp, but a simple ID is quite elegant. It's all about efficiency, and transferring large amounts of INT(6) s is a bit cheaper than strings of 30/40 characters. I need to retrieve the ID only once, and I need to use it very often afterwards for INSERTS and UPDATES.

I have used SELECT last_insert_id() for this via NWNX, and it has worked without issues.

Edit: My bad. I've used it in NWNX4; I haven't tested under NWNX2.

edit again: Nevermind the previous edit -- I just found some old code in NWN1 bug reporting system that shows I /was/ using select last_insert_id() without issues under NWNX2.

Looking for volunteers.

Last edited by Grinning Fool on Tue Dec 12, 2006 18:35; edited 1 time in total
Disco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing it now.

I tried the timestamp + login way, which worked rather well, but the fact that some people use account of 60+ characters gives me the creeps. It's simply not esthetical!

So, stubborn as I am I rewrote the entire script again and used the "INSERT record first and SELECT it on the next transition for the right ID" method. It's also a good way to check if a record has been made anway, as people manage to login before the database scripts are initialised.

No I have another multiple statement question:

I have a record ID and two tables that I want to search two table with this ID. I just want to know if both have an entry. I need to search both tables on more values that just the ID, and I want the result set to be in the form of column1 = value if record exists, Column2 = value if record exists.

I tried using joins, but didn't get that far with those. I could try to use INSERT... UPDATE ON DUPLICATE KEY, but I want to update records that need to have unique combinations of values, not unique primary keys.

For example: IP | Account | CharID | Count | Updated

IP | Account | CharID
should be unique together

Count | Updated
should be updated.

I have no clue how I can make sure such a record exists without SELECTing it first, and I don't want to force errors by blindly INSERTing it. I think I need to SELECT, and if I must I'd like to select another table in the same statement, and that's why I ask the question above.

Hope my rather vague explanation tells you what I want.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to give detailed advice without knowing the table and data structure, but IF you really can not do it with a join, subselects (or subqueries in MySQL) might help you out:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/subqueries.html
pdwalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 20:49    Post subject: insert <record> on duplicate key update Reply with quote

mysql has a non standard insert statement that allows you to update a record if the record already exists.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/insert.html

Perhaps you could use this to solve your problem?
Disco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am looking for is an UPDATE if exists INSERT statement. It may seem to be equivalent to INSERT if exists UPDATE but it isn't as you select on a full WHERE clause isntead of the primary key.

Say I have a table A that has the fields a1, a2, a3, a4 and a table B with b1, b2, b3

I also have a variable CharID, a variable Week, and a variable Account

I want to update a3, a4 if a1 = CharID and a2 = Week and b3, b4 if b1 = CharID and b2 = Account. If either record doesn't exist I want to create a new one which I can update with the next call. In pseudocode:

Code:
SELECT a1 FROM A WHERE  a1 = CharID AND a2 = Week
IF (a1 == CharID){
    UPDATE A (values a3,a4) WHERE  a1 = CharID AND a2 = Week
}
ELSE{
   INSERT INTO A (values a1,a2,a3,a4)
}

SELECT b1 FROM B WHERE  b1 = CharID AND b2 = Account
IF (a1 == CharID){
    UPDATE B (values b3,b4) WHERE  b1 = CharID AND b2 = Account
}
ELSE{
   INSERT INTO B (values b1,b2,b3,b4)
}

I want to use a minimal amount of queries, though. I thought about checking both tables in one go, and trying to combine INSERT and UPDATES where possible as well.
Disco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevernermind this, I just learned about combined unique indexes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: