logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seg Fault all of a sudden, was sorking right, nowit doesn't

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorgonzola

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 18:37    Post subject: Seg Fault all of a sudden, was sorking right, nowit doesn't Reply with quote

Hi there.

I came up with this problem on my nwserver, yesterday.

We had two servers running, our main pw server, and a PRC test server. After a lot of trouble with the prc's db and the module switches, we got the test server to work, it loaded, and read all there was to read, etcetera.

We loaded it up, at 6:00 am, and shut it down to keep our main server undisturbed. Then we tried to load it up later at 12:00 pm to keep it runnning and test it deeply, and it gave a seg fault.

At first we thought that the main server (which was running all along), had somehow "blocked" some data that the test server needed, so we brought it down to try again. It still gave seg faults. We tried to load the main server again, and it gave seg fault.

Now the server is seg faulting on anything loaded thru nwnx. Directly thru nwserver, the server loads fine, but when you try to load with nwnx, it crashes and seg faults. every module, even those that worked before.

Evidently, this has crippled our server and module. the funny thing, is that the logs show that nwnx2 and every module and plugin work, they initialize and start right, but the server process segfaults, and the nwserver lgos don't show anything.

If i kenw how to enable a more in depth debug loigging, i'd produce them, but i haven't been able to set it.

Any ideas welcome... this has cripled our server, and now we are terribly behin schedule with the PRC tests and setup. Please, if you know anything about debugging nwserver seg faults, speak up.

Thanks for your time in advance

PS: already tried deleting nwn.ini an setting permissions right. I'm not the server admin though, and i'm not linux savy neither...

PPS: needless to say, nwnx is great, you guys have done a tremendous work for the comunity. Much would simply be impossible without APS/NWNX. great stuff, keep up the good work!
Acrodania

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried starting just the module and NOT via NWNX? I was having issues with PrC 3.0D crashing the server also and had to redo my module-wide variables and not cache the 2DAs in NWNX.
Gorgonzola

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, both modules load fine without nwnx.

The problem is that NO module loads with nwnx, even the one(s) without PRC 3.0d installed.

So it's preety critical, we *need* nwnx for almost everything... and the mistery is that it was working perfectly, until yesterday :S

if only i could enable some more in-depth logging... i don't know how how i can make the server speak up more... or how to debug a seg fault. I don't understand strace logs neither, so i don't even know where to look anymore :S
Acrodania

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redownload your NWNX files. Did you have a crash or anything that could have damaged them? Have you verified the permissions on them?
Gorgonzola

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash? not that i recall. Our server is stable as a rock, at least the machine it runs on is.

We already tried reinstalling nwn, on a parallel server, and we already recompiled nwnx, and it didn't work. Our admin said he would do some more tests (didn't specify), and if we can't fix it, we are going to reinstall the os, i guess.

thanks for the interest anyway...
Gorgonzola

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, just for the record, we reinstalled nwn again, set everything up form scratch, and it worked.

we never knew what caused the problem, and now we only hope it wont happen again...

seeya!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: