logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX_Patch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valgav

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

highv priest wrote:

From there I'll work on developing a universal spell system and have no problem sharing it with the community.

Sounds like a fun project Smile

Do you have some specific idea? Because I want to implement some kind of spellcrafting anyway so...
highv priest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have messed around with the spell "engine" of nwn a few times before. I figured out the structure of how a spell actually exists in the spellbook and that nwn actually doesn't have too strong of rules for how these spells are. For instance you can put something like Dragon Aura of Fear as a spell in the spellbook at level 1 or something.

I've never actually tried to mess with retrievals from .TLK entries before though. That's where the difficulty of it comes into play I imagine.

I do imagine NWN has a function designed specifically that does this(such as ReturnTLKEntry()), but I don't know if a hook for it would actually work or not...

Anyway the goal would just be to create something around 20 different "dummy spells" that act as the universal executor of all the spells. Where the name of generic information(Such as Generic spell, and generic icon, generic impact script) can be replaced when added into the quickbar.
Valgav

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

highv priest wrote:
Anyway the goal would just be to create something around 20 different "dummy spells" that act as the universal executor of all the spells. Where the name of generic information(Such as Generic spell, and generic icon, generic impact script) can be replaced when added into the quickbar.

Quoting best dwarf in history: You have my axe!

That's exactly what I want. I'm quite sure that tlk is probably the hardest part (not sure about switching icons on fly).

Also one more thing can you override inside this structure all the other parameters(casting aniamtion, range, metamagic) from 2da? Because this would in fact allow to treat spells.2da like dummy template for spell and implement eveything dynamic.

Know I'm thinking this could have potential to overide metamagic as you could just add spell on specific level with specific value inside structure and just rename it to xxx (Empowered)
highv priest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valgav wrote:
highv priest wrote:

Quoting best dwarf in history: You have my axe!

That's exactly what I want. I'm quite sure that tlk is probably the hardest part (not sure about switching icons on fly).

Also one more thing can you override inside this structure all the other parameters(casting aniamtion, range, metamagic) from 2da? Because this would in fact allow to treat spells.2da like dummy template for spell and implement eveything dynamic.

Know I'm thinking this could have potential to overide metamagic as you could just add spell on specific level with specific value inside structure and just rename it to xxx (Empowered)

Yes I was just giving examples. It's definitely something I want to implement, but I've never used the client extender before and that's where that .tlk generation is coming from. The server is just passing a number(the line number) to the client and the client is retrieving the .TLK entry.

Unfortunately my players were never particularly keen on downloading extra things with their install(hence I never bothered working with the client extender), but I'm seeing about making that case now.
Antegate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaDoOoW
Skill Empathy with animals is used only for 2 races - animals and magical animals. Is it possible to lift the restrictions or somehow regulate them?
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antegate wrote:
ShaDoOoW
Skill Empathy with animals is used only for 2 races - animals and magical animals. Is it possible to lift the restrictions or somehow regulate them?

i can softcode it the same way taunt and pickpocket is done but not right now, time to make some tutorials and focus on 1.72 documentation
Antegate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i can softcode it the same way taunt and pickpocket is done but not right now, time to make some tutorials and focus on 1.72 documentation

ok. thanks
highv priest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never messed with this, but is it possible for you to add an event for when players press tab? Since you can block the server from sending the light up?

I'm curious, because it could be useful to add cycling for things. For instance they could cycle what target their AI companion is currently attacking by tapping tab.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

highv priest wrote:
I never messed with this, but is it possible for you to add an event for when players press tab? Since you can block the server from sending the light up?

I'm curious, because it could be useful to add cycling for things. For instance they could cycle what target their AI companion is currently attacking by tapping tab.

It is possible but there is one problem.

Normally, nwnx developer runs a script inside some engine function and this function is postphoned untill the script executes. That gives the opportunity to change the code inside engine function or completely bypass it.

However, pressing TAB is a client-side action. While it is possible to send server a command to run script, the script would run slightly after that TAB was pressed which would not grant the opportunity to bypass it only do something when TAB was pressed.

Instead, the TAB command would have to be canceled, and the script would have to send back new TAB command if you wish to allow it (or do nothing if not).

What exactly you want to do? If you want to disallow it based on cetain conditionals, couldn't you check those conditions before and use DisableObjectHighlighting function instead?
highv priest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaDoOoW wrote:
highv priest wrote:

It is possible but there is one problem.

Normally, nwnx developer runs a script inside some engine function and this function is postphoned untill the script executes. That gives the opportunity to change the code inside engine function or completely bypass it.

However, pressing TAB is a client-side action. While it is possible to send server a command to run script, the script would run slightly after that TAB was pressed which would not grant the opportunity to bypass it only do something when TAB was pressed.

Instead, the TAB command would have to be canceled, and the script would have to send back new TAB command if you wish to allow it (or do nothing if not).

What exactly you want to do? If you want to disallow it based on cetain conditionals, couldn't you check those conditions before and use DisableObjectHighlighting function instead?

I want to just disable normal tab and I'll have it highlight things if intended or if they have AI companions it cycles through creature objects highlighting the one which the AI companion will target.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

highv priest wrote:
I want to just disable normal tab and I'll have it highlight things if intended or if they have AI companions it cycles through creature objects highlighting the one which the AI companion will target.
Hmm yea. That would require this event...
highv priest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaDoOoW wrote:
highv priest wrote:
Hmm yea. That would require this event...

It's a very useful function though to better control the behaviour of your AI companions in a pitched battle with limited pausing capability.

I'm 90% positive that it would be used by many people and one such use might be to make nwn more friendly for touch screens.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

highv priest wrote:
It's a very useful function though to better control the behaviour of your AI companions in a pitched battle with limited pausing capability.

I'm 90% positive that it would be used by many people and one such use might be to make nwn more friendly for touch screens.
Ok I will add this.
Valgav

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we hijack this for targeting system for feats and spells? Because targeting in multiplayer is hell sometimes, but you just want to focus all your spells/feats on single boss target.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valgav wrote:
Could we hijack this for targeting system for feats and spells? Because targeting in multiplayer is hell sometimes, but you just want to focus all your spells/feats on single boss target.

Can you clarify?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 28 of 44

Jump to: