logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux install help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
222222quick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:22    Post subject: Linux install help? Reply with quote

Im going to take yet a 3rd try at nwnx.

I basically only need to let people delete their characters and reset server every 12 hours.

I installed debian 32 bit on server.

I read install instructions but there is not enough info for me.

If some one could list the files I need to put in my directory and point me to module scripts I need .

Thanks for your help in advance. Very Happy
Fireboar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNX on Linux right now requires a hard head and an "able and willing to experiment" sort of mentality. For starters, Bioware's own "fixinstall" script for NWN on Linux has a bug in it. The first step is to get nwserver running. Make sure you can launch and log into a server without NWNX running.

Personally, I compile NWNX myself, but there should be binary files available. I don't remember where from though. Anyway, installing NWNX itself SHOULD be straightforward, but you'll probably run into some sort of hurdle anyway. Just speaking from experience here.

The modules you need for your requirements are nwnx_resetplugin and nwnx_ruby. You could use nwnx_leto instead of nwnx_ruby, but that's a bit outdated and really, ruby is much easier to code and is more powerful than letoscript. Actually writing the code to do the things you want to do is non-trivial and very good for your soul. A reset script is easy mode, making it scheduled is less easy and the character deletion is downright tricky.

Alternatively, to reset you don't necessarily need resetplugin at all. You can instead come up with a creative combination of - say - shell scripting, expect, screen and the "say" and "exit" commands that the nwserver console recognises to warn about and trigger a reset.
acomputerdood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would also mention that the last time i compiled nwnx for linux the Makefiles had -Werror set which caused some of the plugins to not compile. deleting that compile flag in the corresponding Makefiles works just fine.

did you google for more help installing nwn? it's been years (wow, a decade?) since i installed it from scratch on my linux so i really have no tips that i remember. this seems like a decent guide (2nd google result):
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/187/index/4643217

there was a recent post on the bioware boards about deleting servervault characters:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-1/NwN-1-Builders---Scripting/Delete-Character-from-servervault-11983692-1.html
222222quick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your reply.

Im sorry I didnt clarify more.I have a module on Debian server running with outside scripts starting and stopping but no ingame warning.

My main reason for wanted to try nwnx again is to get character deleting for it.

My question is if I go to the download for nwnx linux,I just download those and take only the *.so files and put them in the NWN directory.Im just having trouble with which files go where.

nwnstartup.sh
nwnx2.ini
nwnx2.so
functions.so
events.so
reset.so
ruby.so
acomputerdood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

they all go in the base directory. and you use nwnstartup.sh (in lieu of nwmain) to start the game.

the thread i linked to uses a combination of cron and shell scripts to delete servervault players without nwnx.

how are you restarting your server now?
222222quick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

/////shutdown script//////

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/nwn

if

[ "$(pidof nwserver)" ] ;

then

GPID=$(printf $(ps ax | grep -m 1 "nwserver" ))

sleep 5

kill -9 $GPID

sleep 5

else

echo "nwserver is not running..."

fi

//////startup script/////

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/nwn

if [ "$(pidof nwserver)" ] ;
then
echo "nwserver already running..."

else

screen -m -d -l ./nwserver -module "SnowBlizzard LevelUp"

fi

I know these are not the best but they work.

I see the link to delete without nwnx2 and that would be fine ,but I wouldn't know how to script it.I know how to use cron

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: