logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No windows.h file
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 20:33    Post subject: No windows.h file Reply with quote

I am using Visual C++ 2005 express edition and trying to compile the demo plugin but i continue to get a fatal error on compile. It cant find the windows.h file that is referenced as an include. do i need that file? or is that something leftover from the VB6? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW heres the link to the new express edition VB from microsoft. (free stuff from microsoft Go Figure)

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

It shows as VB8
I know that the windows.h file is suppposed to be on the windows machine but i cant get it to find it.
JeroenB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to download the platform SDK to compile the sources. You can download it from here. When you installed it, you have to point the include and library directories in the options dialog (tools -> options, projects and solutions -> VC++ Directories) of VS2005 to the place where you installed the platform sdk, use the correct subdirectories.

[EDIT] It has nothing to do with VB. The windows.h header file is the standard include file for programming windows applications. It defines all kinds of constants, and includes all important header files needed for windows programming.
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 13:32    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

Thanks jeroen I knew I was missing something simple. Its always the little stuff.

edit** That was it I knew it was something simple Thanks again.
Xildjian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, I didn't know MS offered these.
How do they work as far as programming and debugging goes? Are they fully functional or limited functionality?

Gonna have to check these out.
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 21:56    Post subject: so far they are the full versions. Reply with quote

I'm new to this level of programming but cant find anything i cant do yet. found a few buggy header files in the SDK files but thats another program.
JeroenB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Express editions are a bit limited in functionality. You can't for example visually create dialogs etc (no resource editor).

DarkstarsDad: about those problems, I would have a look at them and see what is causing those problems. I haven't seen those errors before, but that can be, because we never compiled nwnx using it Smile
Xildjian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeroenB wrote:
The Express editions are a bit limited in functionality. You can't for example visually create dialogs etc (no resource editor).

Well that sucks. At least I can compile a new NWNX2 plugin I'm working on with it. Still have to put the thing in a game to see how it works. Compiling is only half the battle Wink
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 18:07    Post subject: Declared depreciated? Reply with quote

Jeroen the declared depreciated warnings are defined as they are going to change or quit using the function on future editions of it. (according to FAQ at microsoft.)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/vctbsCompilerWarningLevel1C4996.asp

I can get the plugins to compile on this. I just have trouble compiling the Main nwnx program.
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 23:45    Post subject: Interesting. Reply with quote

Well i figured some of the trouble out. Microsoft is ending support for all VB6 and earlier Programs. So they have forced the SDK to quit using all but the new .NET based functions and controls. Next update will only have the .Net useable coding there will not be any support for anything but the .NET headers and libraries.
Does that mean what I think it does? (rewrite of all vb6 coded programs?) that will be interesting at best. and a nightmare otherwise.
Heres a link to the changes in the language.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcn7/html/vaconprogrammingelementschangesinvb7.asp
NoMercy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just stop using VB all together, never liked it :)

I am curious what they mean though by support, hopfully newer versions will still compile the old code, though in my very anti-VB nature, I think people should be moving to other languages whenever there's an opertunity.
dragonsong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

VB will not go away so long as there is VBA. There's still hope for OpenOffice.org, though.
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:39    Post subject: express edition beta 2 released Reply with quote

For those of us that are new to or to broke to pay for it microsoft just released a new beta2 on the express developers series. visual basic tools in c c++ c# and java. free and i think these ones are more workable than the last ones the object data seems to work now (at least better than before)
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/
JeroenB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not very fund of this newest release. I've got several annoying problems with it that I didnt have with the previous version. I would recommend waiting with updating for a moment till they fix some bugs.
DarkstarsDad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 14:27    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice jeroen. as a newbie to this i really appreciate it. And Thank you for the Tutorials and help. I have learned alot.
Snotface

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:44    Post subject: Huh? Reply with quote

There seems to be a problem with the Beta 2 release in that when you try to add search directories: Tools->Options->Projects and solutions->VC++Directories, you can pick the platform and the type of files, but there is no where on the screen to actually add the relevant directories.
Am i doing something wrong?

Hope they release a fix soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: