logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWN uses zlib?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:36    Post subject: NWN uses zlib? Reply with quote

I'm 99.9% sure NWN is using zlib because I'm seeing zlib compression headers in the network traffic.

However in IDA, I can't find any external calls to any zlib.dll.
My only conclusion is that the library was statically compiled (aka included in the EXE instead of linked to) by Bioware.

Can anyone help me confirm or deny this?

I know the Linux binary requires the zlib library, so its obviously done dynamically on Linux, but I had always thought that the library was to solve extraneous porting issues and unrelated to its presence in Windows.

Maybe a better question is, any IDA tips to make zlib functions and calls show up in ascii text instead of as asm instructions? I can get my hands on the DLL, even an older version of it that Bioware probably used when making NWN, to provide the debugger hints. I have a feeling it doesn't work that way though....

I'm so frustrated looking at debug output and not even realizing it may be apart of a package out there....
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I think I answered my own question.

char []copyright = "deflate 1.14 Copyright...."

from deflate.c (from zlib.net) shows up in IDA...

They are definitely using zlib. An outdated version too. With security vulnerabilities.....
http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:16.zlib.asc

Greaaaaaat.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: