logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hosting NWNX servers.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WPCWolfe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:13    Post subject: Hosting NWNX servers. Reply with quote

I run a hosting service for games. I would like to host NWN with NWNX as an option. I wont put the name of the website cause I am not sure of your rules about adds.
My question is that I am having problems with NWNX in that I have a program that monitors the game servers just as NWNX does. But here is my problem. You cant change the module in NWNX and have it change unless you restart NWNX, but NWNX does not shutdown NWN. When NWNX restarts it automaticly brings up a new NWN server but of course the other one is still running and causes a conflict. One of my problems is that the program that monitors cant shut them both down cause they are in the same folder. It does not have that capacity. What I am asking is that when you shutdown NWNX that it also shuts down the NWN server that it is monitoring. Than with a proper interval of delay of restarting the NWNX, it will than restart and restart the NWN server with the new module.
I want to be able to host NWNX with a database access and all of the plugins. I think what you have done with NWNX is awesome.
On a side note the server hosting is a duel Zeon 3.0 64 bit with windows 2003 64 bit server. Runs great for the 2 I have running now. Any help with this would be greatly appriciative.
JollyOrc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply execute this command via a batch file :

Code:
kill nwserver.exe

NWNx then restarts the nwserver just fine Smile

If you want to change the module, simply use some copy and rename commands in the batch file.

Assuming you have two different modules, called Mod_a.mod and mod_b.mod.

Now you set it up so that the module that nwnx starts nwnserver with is called mod_run.mod. Now, whenever you want to switch the modules, you can delete mod_run.mod, copy mod_a.mod or mod_b.mod into a new mod_run.mod, and then kill the nwserver.exe.

No need for extra programs then.
WPCWolfe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the problem is a person wants to run defferent mods and if you change a mod and keep the same name how is anybody browsing the server list going to know when he changes his mod when they are all the same. But the problem is that when selling a server you cannot give the buyer the ability to run batch files cause that can cause some issues with security. The idea is to let the customer change the module which can be done with some programs I can purchase that have web panels. But the nwnx would intervere with that module change cuase there is no way to shutdown both cause they are in the same folder. I will be getting this web pannel soon and will see what its cabable of. I am not much of a scripter so thats why I asked to have NWNX modified that when it shuts down to kill the nwserver.exe. Thanks for the info.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 13:16    Post subject: This is old but still Reply with quote

Realise this is an old thread, but thought it deserves a resolution.

I had a similar set up when I was with an old hosting company.

The resolution was to use ftp to rename the new module uploaded, to have the same name as the one in the nwnx.ini file.

Then a reset, will load the new module, opposed to the old module.

Using a php upload script, this could be done easilly.

Eg - Clients upload, then the module gets copied to their Module Folder, and renamed to a specific name specified in their nwnx.ini file.
Ter Leeloo II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have similar problem with our module hosting like fist poster wrote. There is external application which starts NWserver and in different cases stops it based on stored process ID. This will not work with NWNX.

So I checked out latest trunk revision of NWNX and modified it. Now I can enable/disable it in nwnx.ini using ExitNwServerOnNwnxExit = yes/no or using command line parameter -exitonexit.

I can share my code changes or .exe file. Maybe I can commit it to trunk, when I'll be allowed to (I don't know, how does it work here, like changes approval etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: