logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie setup for MySQL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DM_Vecna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:38    Post subject: Newbie setup for MySQL Reply with quote

*sighs*

I know this is a frustrating question for you all and I would not ask it unless I have spent a lot of time trying to get this going but it did not work. I have seen other threads where you direct the OP to MySQL's website for more information and I have looked around there excensively.

But I cannot figure out how to get MySQL running on my computer. Mostly what I find are old turotials that offer different solutions for different software that is now not available.

tutorial: http://www.nwnx.org/index.php?id=tut2

Here is where I am at.

I have downloaded
- MySQL Server 5.1
- Connector ODBC 5.1
- MySQL WOrkbench (is this the new MySQL Control Panel?)
- NWNX2
- ODBC plugin

But I just cannot find direction on which software I should have and how to set up what I need to run NWNX2 on my local machine with ODBC.

THank you in advance for any help in the right direction.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mercuric.net/nwn/mysql.html might help you out. It's a little old, but covers the basics.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
DM_Vecna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be making some progress here. It seems that the culprit was a bug posted here.

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=18555
Quote:

Here is a work around to this problem.

1) If you have already installed MySQL, uninstall completely and manually clean the
registry keys by searhing for "MySQL" key word.

2) re-install MySQL by following the instructions on the screen

3) proceed to create database instance

4) enter the root password as desired on the security configuration screen

5) When error 1045 dialog will apprears click on "Retry" instead of "Cancel". This step
is extremly critical, if you click on cancel, you will never be able to recover from the
1045 error nor would you ever be able to create a database instance with the current
installation of MySQL.

Clicking on the Retry button worked for me, hopefully it will work for you as well.

Note: The Retry button must be clicked on the very first attempt to create the database
instance when the error 1045 dialog appears. The Retry trick does not work on subsequent
attempt to create database instance after cancel button has been clicked, tough the
instruction says database instance can be created later on. It simlpy won't work!

I am posting this in case anyone else has the same problem. You need to manually delete the keys using regedit. before you can try the install again.

I must have just entered a different password on a prior install.
DM_Vecna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I seem to have been able to get the database running and start the demo module (aps_demo).

However the nwserver crashes every time I try and store the values from the chest (object).

I commented out the sqlite portion of the sctipt as the odbc instructions suggest.

Is there any quick thoughts as to why this is happening or is there some information that I oculd post to help debug this problem?

I will say that I did not have a problem creating the table or completing the entire other process of storing a string value and retrieving it.

This is for MySQL 5.1
Disco

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use WAMP, by the way. It installs a lot of stuff (MySQL and Apache) you need in one go and comes with phpMyAdmin which is a lifesaver.
DM_Vecna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Disco;

But I have already got the server up and running. I just need to get some settings right I believe.

I think I will write a new tutorial about getting this to work with the new software.

But for some reason my server is still crashing on the SetPersistantObject that is called from the aps_demo module. I looked at the scripting and it all seemed to work. The functions match the database table columns.

*shrugs*
DM_Vecna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay;

I adjusted a setting in my MySQL.ini for storing campeign objects and that seemed to help things on the retreiving side.

But when I set the object I am still getting:

demo_obj_storval, OID:80000007, Tag: FreestandingMerchantPlacard3, ERROR: TOO MANY INSTRUCTIONS

any thoughts?
JollyOrc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM_Vecna wrote:
Okay;

I adjusted a setting in my MySQL.ini for storing campeign objects and that seemed to help things on the retreiving side.

Out of curiousity, and because I have some problems with objects too - how did you tweak it?
DM_Vecna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised that I had set
"hookscorco = false" thinking that this would disable the Bioware database and because I was using NWNX that was a good thing.

But I think that NWNX hooks into this for storing objects or something and as soon as I set this to true it went from crashing my system to only giving me a tmi error. Which feels like I am on the right track though not actually up and running yet.

I have not gotten a solution to the error so I think I might do a full reinstall and see if that fixes things. As well maybe post the scripts in the Bioware script forum and see if anyone knows why those would not work in MySQL 5
Zebranky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use NWNX's object storage, then yes, hookscorco must be set to true.

The TMI error suggests that your scripts are wrong in some way. I'd post those before bothering with a reinstall.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: