logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I encourage sharing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 16:28    Post subject: I encourage sharing Reply with quote

A lot of PW developers tend to keep their scripted systems and not to release anything to the public.
I'd like to encourage sharing of the scripts based on NWNX, so here is the deal:

I'll give a first priority to the requests made by people who release their work based on NWNX functionality.

No guarantees, but I will be adding them to the top of my todo list.
If you have a really cool system and want to release it, but it's not completed/documented/tested - feel free to post here: it's very likely that other people will help you with it.

Also, I'm going to add a special section on NWNX site with links to such systems. So if you'd like to suggest a system, post a link here.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The code is already published, but I'll offer up my SQLServer code.
It can be used to replace the current ODBC plugin (with a little work), the catch is I had to rework the core interface (internals only) to give.
1. Improved DB error logging,
2. Simplified NWScript command set
3. Parametrized SQL (no messy string concatenation)
4. Objects are now just a data-type, not a special case (retrieve both string and object columns in the same query)

I've also included an ASP mode, so any existing code will work as-is.

--

You'll need this for my Vendor system (lag-free). some of the features;
1. Stores can be selective - page, type or item filtering
2. Vendors are mobile (they can wander between areas - walk waypoints)
3. Player 'profits' are recorded, and can be 'bulk' collected from a 'Burgher' (collects all the profits from every vendor)
4. Buyback - items in a store for a specified time are 'considered' sold - at a discount (crafters dumping items get some cash back, but the store isn't flooded with 100's of the same item)
5. DM trasher - a DM can 'buy-out' the store, crafters get their 'profits' - one of each item is kept.

Cheers
Gryphyn
Disco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of those people that do not share a lot. The reason is not secrecy but perfectionism and lack of time. Stuff just isn't finished, polished, commented to standards that would make me publish things. It's also a matter of things being intertwined (not just between nwn and nwnx but also php and mysql) and making separate packages of them would be a challenge.

To be fair: the NWNX base script is about the only thing I am using that hasn't been specifically made for our server, so in the end my parasite ratio is pretty neutral.
Ne0nx3r0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many others like this there are, but I'm kind of in the same boat (though my scripting is nothing to be envious of); I have a lot of nifty widgets of code, but they are fairly dependent on other scripts, and almost all of them use the zzdlg dynamic conversation system or some other module-wide install, so while they might just be one extra script to me, exported they might turn into a few dozen.

Rest assured, if I ever come up with anything of value I'll hand it out for the masses Smile.
Lokey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ne0nx3r0 wrote:
I don't know how many others like this there are, but I'm kind of in the same boat (though my scripting is nothing to be envious of); I have a lot of nifty widgets of code, but they are fairly dependent on other scripts, and almost all of them use the zzdlg dynamic conversation system or some other module-wide install, so while they might just be one extra script to me, exported they might turn into a few dozen.

Rest assured, if I ever come up with anything of value I'll hand it out for the masses Smile.

Us too: eventually everything becomes intertwined with subraces, factions, etc...

Always been unhappy with our spell-handling, but don't see much to be done without a lot of work and bugtesting (could do what I want in NWN2 with its SetSpellEffectId) for example.
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lokey"]
Ne0nx3r0 wrote:

Always been unhappy with our spell-handling, but don't see much to be done without a lot of work and bugtesting (could do what I want in NWN2 with its SetSpellEffectId) for example.

acaos wrote:

http://www.intertex.net/~zac/nwnx/nwnx_effects-1.1.tar.gz

Adds GetEffectInteger(effect eEffect, int nIndex);
    Adds SetEffectInteger(effect eEffect, int nIndex, int nValue);

http://www.intertex.net/~zac/nwnx/nwnx_effects-1.0.tar.gz

Adds SetEffectSpellId(effect eEffect, int nSpellId)

http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=818

Linux only, but you could always ask for a port in the request thread, if that's the issue. I used to approximate the same thing by AssignCommanding the effect creation (ie, declaration of the effect, application is irrelevant) to a specially tagged object in an 'effect creator' area. You could then compare objectid instead of spellid, via comparison of that object, retrieved using getnearestobject to a waypoint in the effect creator area (and stored as a local object on the module), to the creator of the effect (bioware standard function).

Funky
the.gray.fox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The systems I written have to do with spells -- one way or the other.
- Polymorph
- Spell Resistance
- Dispel magic
- Metamagic
and other things.

The problem of exporting something like this is all the static linking.
To change existing scripts to use alternate systems one is forced to recompile _everything_. Coupled with 2da edits too.
That is mammoth work -- kind of defeats the purpose of engineering a slick interface.

But maybe it is for the best?
I imagine if NWN used dynamic linking we would be flooded with standalone scripts and systems. All resulting in a Babel, and so much difficult to find your way in it.

-fox
Lokey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot, there is a how can I help issue: demo mods and documentation. Perhaps that's a better general sound-off issue? Then again, just because I'm not aware of anything utterly astounding that's not freely available doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

FunkySwerve wrote:
See nwnx_structs

Yah, freebie hosting linux option (custom ubuntu 64 in vmware) is not happy with a couple of needed modules. Wish it were an option currently, and nwnx_structs has been sitting on my try this list for a long time, and would certainly enable what I have in mind. Suggested workaround sounds workable, but falls into the not really worth doing (NS3 and 4 are bloated, creaky, etc modules designed with dated assumptions) but occasionally worth griping about category (alright isn't conceptually difficult, too tedious or require messing with functions we don't already have wrapped somewhere, it's the bugtesting that always gets us in the end...but perhaps I'll mess with anyway) Wink

Last edited by Lokey on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39; edited 1 time in total
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bloated at all - we didn't bother to convert half of the stuff we did this way. More a matter of ease of use - not having to do anything outside of script to accomplish it.

Funky
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

the.gray.fox wrote:
The problem of exporting something like this is all the static linking.

Exactly, I made several cool scripts but it took me more work to "prepare them for sharing" than their creation.

However I managed to post few at vault, but lately nothing or just script-algorithms or ideas.

Link of all my submissions.
Sethan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea. I'll see what we've got that we can share.
Mithreas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Arelith we intend to open source our engine sooner or later. We don't use haks, so we have a very heavy reliance on nwnx to go beyond what the base engine permits.

Currently it's all in a SVN repository but we haven't got around to publishing it properly yet.
Hexgenesis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That's a pretty exciting thought.

I just started playing on Arelith and I'm amazed at the complexity of the scripting and the amount of players it handles with little problem.
Mithreas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have you with us. Since the server split we did at the weekend to go from 2 servers to 3, we can now handle our usual peak of 110-120 players without noticeable lag, which is great.

There's over a hundred thousand lines of custom scripts in the Arelith engine, and we use most of the NWNX plugins on top of that. And there's still so much more I want to do with it, but with a full time job I have to limit my Arelith time Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: