logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nwnx_anti crash plugin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baaleos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 22:55    Post subject: nwnx_anti crash plugin? Reply with quote

Hi Zebby, or Virusman -
I was chatting to Funky on nwn forums, and they mentioned a plugin that they have which protects against a vulnerability in nwn server, which allows douchbags (Funkys own words. Lol) to crash servers through use of Corrupted Characters.

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=715224&forum=56&sp=15

Apparently the only person who has the source code for the plugin is Acaos - But I was wondering if any of you nwnx guru's would be willing to port Acaos's plugin to Windows - if he was willing to share his code with you.

I kinda got onto the subject of this crashing exploit, when over the holidays, I had a hacker on my server, who was able to bring it down, 5 times in the space of 20 minutes.

Banning is not effective, as also discussed on the forums, as CDKEY's are able to be grinded to find one which works, Account Names can be made indefinitly, and ip addresses are crap - cause they change.

Ideally, I'd like to protect against the crash exploit.
Im sure everyone would like to be protected too.

I'd imagine that a condition of Acaos sharing the source code(if he agree's), is that it doesnt get added to any svn etc, as it would probably increase vulnerability of other servers etc, if anyone could view the protection mechanism.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll PM acaos about it.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:48    Post subject: Thx Reply with quote

Thx Zeb,
Your a star. Would nominate you for a community award or something, if one existed. Lol
(Hopes that they dont exist.. else I might look silly)
dacarlo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose setting up a beer fund for this guys. Smile
Vladiat0r

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe our antiworld.biz server is having a very similar problem where a malicious player is crashing the server constantly, but I can't figure out how. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks.
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more news on this issue? The last comment in the bioware thread states that Zeb was given the code.

I think there are a lot of community developers and general interest in this topic (self included) to enlist many willing collaborators, but it also sounds like something in the fix implies further instability & exploitability as to warrant suppression of the code. If that is so, thank you for your discretion in this matter.
Fireboar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more that this is an extremely rarely known exploit, and since there isn't a fix yet for Windows servers, releasing the Linux fix would be counterproductive because the source code would enlighten the reader as to the precise nature of the exploit and how to carry it out, making Windows servers much more vulnerable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: