logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Client-Side Visual Effects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aegy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:33    Post subject: Client-Side Visual Effects Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is a windows plugin yet that would allow a scripter to call a visual effect that only a specified PC could see. While searching I found reference to a similar function in a Linux plugin (here: http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=11149&highlight=#11149) and the mention that it would be a simple port. However I've seen nothing else regarding it.

More importantly I'm looking for this function but with the added ability to be applied directly to a player. Inability to privately show the visual effects is the only thing keeping much needed GUI enhancements from my project.

Hopefully I just overlooked it, as I requested a the functions from Bioware with each patch as far back as I can remember. These two functions would probably make me the happiest person on Earth!

Any help directing me to what I'm looking for would be most appreciated, and anyone saying "sorry it doesn't exist" will be appreciated as well.. just not as much. Wink
Fireboar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, doesn't exist.

... yet.
Aegy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, well that's disappointing and yet hopeful at the same time. I'll keep lurking around in case such a thing decides to show up. I appreciate the prompt response, thank you!
Aegy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of something else that I was looking for, unfortunately anything I could think to call it resulted in 0 search returns. Rather than starting a new thread I figured I would just ask here.

Is there a way to disable all combat information, while still keeping the text from SendMessageToPC? My project replaces normal NWN combat with a real time combat similar to a fighting game. As such we use custom hp and damages, while using the default NWN hp as a 100% meter. Unfortunately while it all works rather well, the display could use some cleaning up. Having bursts of regular NWN damage in between custom combat messages can be confusing to a new player.

I apologize that I keep asking questions, and thank you for any reponses.
Fireboar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, doesn't exist.

... and I don't think it can be done either - that's a client-side thing so they'd have to disable it themselves (which is possible - simply right-click on the combat window bar and turn off combat messages).
Aegy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting that to be the case. Though, if you disable the combat text the standard way the game filters out messages from SendMessageToPC as well. Thank you anyway. Guess I'll have to think up another way around the issue. Sad
virusman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't exist, but it can be done. Smile
Aegy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear.. How difficult would it be for someone who has some programming experience, but none in regards to what NWNX uses to perform its magic? I can't very well ask someone to make these things if I'm the only one really interested, so I'm more than willing to learn what I need to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: