logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebranky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warnings are warnings (they don't stop the build unless you explicitly want them to). They're generally bad in some way, though.

I am getting errors, though:
Code:
Error   6   error C2733: second C linkage of overloaded function 'CreateRemoteThreadEx' not allowed   e:\nwn files\nwnx development\nwnx2 win32\trunk\nwnx2\madCHook.h   216   1   NWNX2
Error   31   error C2440: 'static_cast' : cannot convert from 'void (__thiscall CNWNX2Dlg::* )(WPARAM,LPARAM)' to 'LRESULT (__thiscall CWnd::* )(WPARAM,LPARAM)'   NWNX2Dlg.cpp   NWNX2

That last one is repeated for lines 32-37.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 16:25    Post subject: K Reply with quote

Im re-downloading the svn, when I rar'd the project, it ended up 21mb.

Weird.

If I can get the size down, I will mail it to u.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 16:51    Post subject: oh well Reply with quote

andrew@mercuric.net on 24/08/2009 15:51
This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again.

The trunk directory is 15mb with the svn directories removed.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack, bigger than I thought. I don't know what gmail's cap is, but try zebranky@gmail.com instead.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 17:42    Post subject: in outbox Reply with quote

Its in my outbox now, will find out shortly if it sends or not.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see it. Let's take this to PM, rather than spamming the thread with our failure at sharing files. Wink

Gryphyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:

Code:
Error   31   error C2440: 'static_cast' : cannot convert from 'void (__thiscall CNWNX2Dlg::* )(WPARAM,LPARAM)' to 'LRESULT (__thiscall CWnd::* )(WPARAM,LPARAM)'   NWNX2Dlg.cpp   NWNX2

I suffered this going to VS2008...
It's safe to recode 'void' to 'LRESULT', the result isn't used within the code.

CNWNXDlg.h

Code:
// Implementation
protected:
   HICON m_hIcon;
   afx_msg LRESULT OnServerRestartedProcess(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);
   afx_msg LRESULT OnServerRestartedGamespy(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);
   afx_msg LRESULT OnServerRestartedGamespyLockup(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);

afx_msg LRESULT OnProcessStateChecking(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);
   afx_msg LRESULT OnProcessStateNone(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);
   afx_msg LRESULT OnGamespyStateChecking(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);
   afx_msg LRESULT OnGamespyStateNone(WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);

and if IIRC it's only the above events that cause it...the many errors are the 'cascade' effect.
--MS went the type-safe route.

Cheers
Gryphyn
Zebranky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, sir! Between that and commenting out the CreateRemoteThreadEx() declaration in madCHook.h, it builds now. Very Happy

Oddly enough, I get the same errors with Baaleos's copy! I definitely haven't tweaked any 2010 settings, so no idea what's going on there.

I may try updating it to 2005 or 2008 later and committing that, as it makes development a lot more open to people who can't get their hands on VS6.

Zebranky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vs2008_update branch in SVN builds beautifully in VC++ 2008 Express Edition, and works perfectly in my (minimal) testing so far. I'd appreciate any brave volunteers who want to put it in a production environment. Smile

Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 23:20    Post subject: Benefits? Reply with quote

Hi Zeb,

Whats the benefits of building under the newer vs versions?

Eg - new functionality, improved stability?
Zebranky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Express Editions mean anyone can build it without paying huge monies or pirating Visual Studio, and anything newer than VS6 is much better about standards-compliance (meaning it's possible to use, say, Boost libraries). No real advantage to the end-user, but for developers, it's a no-brainer.

Squatting Monk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:
The vs2008_update branch in SVN builds beautifully in VC++ 2008 Express Edition, and works perfectly in my (minimal) testing so far. I'd appreciate any brave volunteers who want to put it in a production environment. Smile

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! I've been wanting to learn to write an NWNX plug-in, but not being able to compile the code without shelling out mucho dinero was... a problem. Thanks!

However, when I try to compile the source as is, I get the following error for every single project in the solution:

fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'afxres.h'

Any ideas?

EDIT: Ye olde Google tells me this is a problem with the MFC libraries not being included with the Express Editions. So apparently we do still have to pay if we want to be able to compile the NWNX code. Sad

I assume you're getting access to the MFC libraries by having a non-Express version installed on your machine also?
Zebranky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack! I do have VS2003, VS2005, VS2008, and VS2010b1 installed legitimately, and VS6 installed... otherwise. So yes, I have quite a few non-Express versions installed. I'll set up a clean VM and see what I can do, but this does sound like a problem.

For what it's worth, if you happen to be a student, you can get truly absurd discounts on MS products, particularly if you join IEEE as a student member (US$32/year, and you get access to a very large array of MS products as free downloads). I'm not sure what I'm going to do once I graduate. Wink

Squatting Monk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled upon this:
Quote:
Oddly enough, VC++ adds afxres.h to resource files even when you aren't using an MFC project, and yet the file may only be installed if you install MFC. This perticular file isn't actually required, so to fix the error you can edit the .rc file in notepad and replace both occurances of "afxres.h" with "winres.h".

Using winres.h (another source said windows.h, and both compile just fine) in the resource files allows the plug-ins to compile. StdAfx.h (in the NWNX2 folder, not the ones in the other projects) can't be fixed with this, though. Will try to see if changing the plug-ins breaks them. If there's one thing I've learned from scripting, it's that just because something compiles doesn't mean it works. Razz
Zebranky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only windows.h worked for me, but it does seem to work fine, except, of course, for NWNX2. The options seem to be: A) redo the GUI using not-MFC, or B) use the ugly workaround described at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/MFC/MFCinVisualStudioExpress.aspx. Choice A makes it easier on developers later (and finally abandons MFC), but choice B is much easier for me. Hmm. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: