logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

100% cpu use at idle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cryptc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:46    Post subject: 100% cpu use at idle Reply with quote

I have a problem with my nwn2 server running with nwnx.

It seems that after a while, even with no players logged on, the cpu usage changes from just using a few percent to using 100% all the time. The server is still up but almost unresponsive, and gets progressively worse after that.

I did google and research a bit, finding info about it possibly being npc moving around getting blocked, etc... and tried the xp_bugfix plugin with no effect.

Also, the module itself doesn't have many npcs prespawned, they spawn from player triggers instead, and even with the server passworded and noone logging on it went to 100% cpu after a while.

Might also be that it is gradually increasing to 100% instead of suddenly changing, not completely sure.

Anyone else encounter this issue?
cryptc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, done some more testing, and seems the same occurs even if I don't use nwnx, so not really related to that... but would still like pointers if anyone has had something similar...
cryptc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update...

I seem to have located the cause of my issue, and partly to answer my own question incase others get same issue and stumble on to this and partly to find alternative solutions I'll post it here.

Turns out that the reason the cpu usage gradually increased and used 100% was creatures placed in the module directly in toolset. My PW is already using spawning systems for 99% of all npcs and was planning to remove the last few, so it was no sacrifice to me. After logging in as DM and killing off the npcs the cpu fell down to 2% again, and is stable now with players logged on.

For reference, I use my own scripts to spawn npcs (a simple one though), and use an area cleaner to remove all npcs/monsters after last player leaves the area.

I think from other threads I've read that TonyK AI mod might be some of the reason the cpu peaks, but I cannot prove this. I do however use a new version of TonyK (not the SoZ default).

If anyone has better solutions to a likely AI scripting issue I'd love to have it.
juliam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is great that you find something
so
creatures added from the toolset...

this problem origins from the implementation of the AI, it is not necessaraly Tony's AI
and this was on patch 1.22, i dont know about 1.23, i wait for Skywing patch before updating

as everyone guessed, that was an AI issue, i did many tests to try to identify with more precision and i could assure you that it was the AI but i couldnt find the tech reason. Now that you identify creatures created from the toolset, it is interesting but with the new patch... we'll see if they fiz that problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: