logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX-Speech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanthar D'Alton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:47    Post subject: dmfi 1.07 Reply with quote

*shrug* Haven't even looked at that. I began work on dmfi 1.06, but it was such a mess (and I was feeling lazy), that I scrapped that work and reverted...

As for your problem, Jeroen, did you make sure that the string is getting encoded for 's in what people say? Dgunter, check if that causes it... say something with 's in it, and see if it causes the error to appear again.

-Lanthar
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dguntner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:28    Post subject: Re: dmfi 1.07 Reply with quote

Lanthar D'Alton wrote:
*shrug* Haven't even looked at that. I began work on dmfi 1.06, but it was such a mess (and I was feeling lazy), that I scrapped that work and reverted...

Actually, I have finally gotten most of DMFI 1.07 to play nicely with it, but I'm still fine-tuning. The .buff commands work, but I can't seem to get the .appearance commands to do so. Yet. Smile I'll figure it out eventually.

Quote:

As for your problem, Jeroen, did you make sure that the string is getting encoded for 's in what people say? Dgunter, check if that causes it... say something with 's in it, and see if it causes the error to appear again.

There's two n's in my name, BTW... Very Happy No, a single quote doesn't seem to be what's triggering that weird error. I already tried saying something with a ' in it, but didn't get the error. I haven't caught it in the act yet, so I'm not sure what triggers it. I'll just switch to the screen page that has the server startup in it, and the error message will be sitting there as shown in my earlier message. It doesn't happen a lot, fortunately.

--Dave
JeroenB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanthar, that should not be the problem. But I have another question. Does the other guy solves the 'root' problem? In my version I use the pcap libraries which need root permissions to run correctly. If he has a better way, I would be very interested Smile
dguntner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

As would I. Very Happy

I was thinking that the way he did it in the Windows version might actually be a better thing for this - run a seperate application "service" that does the listening on the port (*that* could be run as root) and then have the nwnx_speech.so plugin talk to that application. But that's just a thought. Smile

In any case, I eagerly await the release of a version that doesn't have to use the database to communicate with the module. Wink

--Dave
Lanthar D'Alton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:13    Post subject: spelling Reply with quote

sorry about that dguntner...Smile If it's any consolation, Jeroen spelled my name with an E when he credited me for writing the system...

I don't know if his solves that... but I do think it runs on it's own.

Oh, and I have my own SetApp command in my scripts... but I just use numbers... no sense using inefficient string compares when I can just check the list... plus it allows use of cep and stuff too.

-Lanthar
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dguntner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:39    Post subject: Re: spelling Reply with quote

Lanthar D'Alton wrote:
sorry about that dguntner...Smile If it's any consolation, Jeroen spelled my name with an E when he credited me for writing the system...

Not a problem. Smile

Quote:

I don't know if his solves that... but I do think it runs on it's own.

Not entirely sure what you're referring to there. If you're talking about the Linux nwnx_speech.so plugin for NWNX, no it doesn't run as a seperate process. It's a shared object library that's running as a plugin, but for it to access the network card, it has to run with root privileges. Because of the way NWNX hooks into the nwserver application, that means that IT needs to run as root as well. I know your Windows version of Talus runs as a seperate listener program, with a NWNX plugin that talks to the listener. But that isn't an option for us Linux-lovers. Very Happy

Quote:

Oh, and I have my own SetApp command in my scripts... but I just use numbers... no sense using inefficient string compares when I can just check the list... plus it allows use of cep and stuff too.

By that, you mean set appearance? How do you use them? And where does one get a list of what numbers mean what things?

--Dave
Lanthar D'Alton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:50    Post subject: SetAppearance Reply with quote

uhmm...
http://lanthar.dyndsl.com/appearances.html
http://lanthar.dyndsl.com/cep_appearances.html

tada!

That's cep1.0 though... I need to add in the new ones. Oh well.

To get the value of any bioware constant, edit nwn\data\x2_scripts.bif in notepad, and do a search for ITEM_PROPERTY...
that will jump you into the middle of them.

-Lanthar

(note : feel free to add me on icq or aim to ask things any time... this goes for anyone)
JeroenB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:11    Post subject: Re: spelling Reply with quote

Lanthar D'Alton wrote:

Sorry about that Wink Where exactly was this? Then I will rectify it immediately.

Further I will put my developments on the speech plugin on hold and will wait for you to finish your project.
Lanthar D'Alton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 19:55    Post subject: Misspelling... Reply with quote

http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57&start=0

first post there... oh and you misspelled decided...Smile

-Lanthar
dguntner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 23:31    Post subject: Re: SetAppearance Reply with quote

Lanthar D'Alton wrote:
uhmm...
http://lanthar.dyndsl.com/appearances.html
http://lanthar.dyndsl.com/cep_appearances.html

tada!

That's cep1.0 though... I need to add in the new ones. Oh well.

Thanks. Although I'm still not sure how one goes about invoking your set appearance stuff. Guess I'll have to dig through the scripts more....

Quote:

To get the value of any bioware constant, edit nwn\data\x2_scripts.bif in notepad, and do a search for ITEM_PROPERTY...

When I try to edit with notepad, it just seems to hang and I have to kill it with the task manager. When I try to edit it with wordpad, all I get is a bunch of binary looking jibberish....

--Dave
dguntner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 23:34    Post subject: Re: spelling Reply with quote

JeroenB wrote:
Further I will put my developments on the speech plugin on hold and will wait for you to finish your project.

If this is the case, then I have to ask Lanthar: Can you find out from the person who you said was doing the Linux port work for you when he's going to be releasing it? I'm interested in it, particularly if it's going to get rid of the need for a MySQL table to communicate between the plugin and the module, and especially if it's going to be something that doesn't require you to run the nwserver application as root in order to make the plugin work.

--Dave
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you open up the bioware script file 'nwscript' in-game, all of the constants and function prototypes are in there.

Quote:
If this is the case, then I have to ask Lanthar: Can you find out from the person who you said was doing the Linux port work for you when he's going to be releasing it? I'm interested in it, particularly if it's going to get rid of the need for a MySQL table to communicate between the plugin and the module, and especially if it's going to be something that doesn't require you to run the nwserver application as root in order to make the plugin work.

Well. Um. I guess that's me. Hi. Currently, I have it working as a standalone executable. Uses the nwn_speech table, with enhancements that Lanthar may have referenced earlier. (Bear with me, haven't actually read the full thread yet).
The executable must be started as root, but then switches over to a 'safe' userid once it begins listening.

Gave it some thought, and what I figure to do is this:
- Keep the listener separate, but allow a 'nwnx mode' parameter.
- Create an nwnx plugin that 'talks' to the executable via pipe or other IPC.
- If running in 'nwnx mode', the executable will cache speech in a stack, and allow the plugin to 'pop' entries from off the stack.

This will allow it to work with NWNX, not require the database access, and not require NW server to run as root. Thoughts?
dguntner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Grinning Fool"]
Quote:
Well. Um. I guess that's me. Hi.

Hi, nice to meet ya. Smile

Quote:

Currently, I have it working as a standalone executable. Uses the nwn_speech table, with enhancements that Lanthar may have referenced earlier. (Bear with me, haven't actually read the full thread yet).
The executable must be started as root, but then switches over to a 'safe' userid once it begins listening.

- If running in 'nwnx mode', the executable will cache speech in a stack, and allow the plugin to 'pop' entries from off the stack.

This will allow it to work with NWNX, not require the database access, and not require NW server to run as root. Thoughts?

For myself, my thoughts are that I like it. Very Happy What enhancements that Lanthar may have referenced earlier are you speaking of?

Here's to hoping that it will be ready soon! Razz

--Dave
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hat enhancements that Lanthar may have referenced earlier are you speaking of?

Actually, looks like he mentioned them in the thread for the windows version.

Using the self-tell (/o) command to parse emotes, commands, languages, speaking through famliars, npcs, etc. As he mentioned, it's running on his server (65.68.156.73:5121) for a preview. The linux version runs on mine, (athanasia.dragonwell.org:5121) but I have haks required, and the new stuff works the same on both platforms.

Oh! Right, as far as when... let's see what the weekend brings. No guarantees, depends on my schedule -- and the backlog of stuff I've got to get done for my server.
dguntner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grinning Fool wrote:

Actually, I've had a few thoughts on this, and figured it couldn't hurt to make the suggestion here. Smile

What I'd like to see, if it's doable (I think it should be), is to have the executable drop back to the user id that started it in the first place. I have a seperate "nwuser" user on my machine that the server application runs as (well, it used to until the current plugin which requires root, but you get the idea). What would be nice would be to have it somehow detect which user started it (being a SUID root program so it's starting as root), it could then bind to the network and drop back to "nwuser" (in this case).

If it drops back to the same user id as the user that started it initially, that would make it easy to kill when not needed by that user. Have it write its pid to a file in the current directory to make this even easier. If these things can be done, then all you really need in your startup script would be something vaguely like:

./taluslistener
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/mysql
export LD_PRELOAD=./nwnx2.so
./nwserver -module "$mod" "$@"
unset LD_PRELOAD
kill `cat taluslistener.pid`

(The reason I have a unset LD_PRELOAD there is because it's actually inside of a while loop to restart nwserver if it crashes, and I found that not unsetting it was causing me problems, in case you were wondering.)

Anyway, you get the idea. If something like that can be done, it would be great!

Looking forward to it, in whatever form it takes.

--Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: