logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DB Conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 18:44    Post subject: DB Conversion Reply with quote

Hi,
I posted this question in the wrong thread, posting here as it seems where this question should go.

I have a mod running with NWNX, using HGLL.

I notice my normal DB calls (using the NWN DB) of course still work.

Would it be a good idea to now convert my existing DB calls to use the SQLite DB I inherited?

I do understand the difference in write times. I also feel comfortable making this conversion. I have SQL CC at the ready and have formulated a solid plan. I am not sure, however, if it is necessary.
Fireboar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend it, yes. You will get benefits in the long run, it's just that moving the data over from the old database could be tricky. If you know what you need to do, go for it. As you say though, using NWNX does not disable the normal NWN database so you don't have to.
Red

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. As simple as that question seems it was weighing on me.

I am going to take your advice in the thread I inadvertently started in the windows tech forum and take things one step at a time.

I know where all my DB calls are in the mod and see how I can actually improve some of my systems by using this new method. I really like the expiring int, that is really a nice feature. NWNX has opened possibilities in my mod that I would have tossed aside, not having a function to pull them off.

I have to say that for a noob, I have found nwnx to be less daunting than I had originally feared. It never hurts that folks around the community are willing to give advice, in fact that has really helped the process.

Thank you.
Red
Red

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick question.
I changed over a few of my systems and put up the mod to test, getting zero returns.

Checked the nwnx.ini to be sure path to SQLite is correct.
That is all set up, I did that when I put HGLL in.

I see a db file SQLite in my NWN folder, which seems correct as I am leaving the path line blank (deleted).

Something else I need to do to initiate the DB? I know that the aps_demo mod was used for that, not sure if I have to do that since I am using HGLL, which is using the pwdata table already, as far as I know.

I left all my set/get persistent calls as default in regards to the data table, which should be pwdata if I read everything correctly.
Red

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belay my last.
I did use the aps_demo mod in the OCDB installer.
That set up both the pwdata and the pwobject tables.

For anyone else who searches for this answer.

extract aps_demo from the OCDB install pack to your mod folder
Change nwnx.ini mod to "aps_demo"
Run your server via nwnx and log as a player
Read the signs, follow the directions
change mod back to your mod in nwnx.ini
go in and debug
should work

If not, look at the SQlite db file in your nwn folder (if you chose the default placement of your db, or did not specify)
If that file size is 0 something is up. I opened mine with a compiler and verified I have the tables, after I noticed it grew in file size. When opened at 0, it was of course empty.

Here is the compiler I found.
http://sqlitecc.sourceforge.net/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: