logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible uses of NWNX?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
z0d

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 14:45    Post subject: Possible uses of NWNX? Reply with quote

Happy new year!

I've just found NWNX and I'm about to try it. Seems very cool. Great work!

Am I correct in that with NWNX one could write a gateway to e.g. Perl and control NWN from Perl. For example writing scripts in Perl (of course, one have to implement the necessary scripting functions for Perl). Or for example could one control the player (go to X, Y; pick up warhammer etc.) from Perl?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you write a plugin, hook some internal functions and interface them to a Perl interpreter.
This has been done with Ruby in this plugin:
http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1114
z0d

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
Yes, if you write a plugin, hook some internal functions and interface them to a Perl interpreter.
This has been done with Ruby in this plugin:
http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1114

Thanks.

Do you still have the svn repository on-line? The link to the repo is a 404.
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

z0d wrote:
Thanks.

Do you still have the svn repository on-line? The link to the repo is a 404.
Fixed the link.
z0d

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing I forgot to ask:

Can I hook into single player games as well, or it requires a server? So, could I control the player in a single player game with my NWNX add-on?

Again, thanks in advance.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only designed to work with the dedicated server. Some features might work with the client by coincidence, but there are no guarantees. virusman has posted screenshots of a client-side NWNX, but right now, there's only the server option.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Fireboar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:
It is only designed to work with the dedicated server. Some features might work with the client by coincidence, but there are no guarantees. virusman has posted screenshots of a client-side NWNX, but right now, there's only the server option.

No - you have to be running nwnx which starts up a server. So it has to be a server, though not necessarily for a multiplayer module. But NWNX will never work in single player mode. The client-side version that's not out yet would be the better option.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, right, the launcher bit slipped my mind. You could try, though, with a few minor code changes (name of file to launch, etc.), assuming the function signatures that matter to you are the same in the client (which may or may not be true).

It's a terrible idea; wait for NWNCX. Wink

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
z0d

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireboar wrote:
Zebranky wrote:

No - you have to be running nwnx which starts up a server. So it has to be a server, though not necessarily for a multiplayer module. But NWNX will never work in single player mode. The client-side version that's not out yet would be the better option.

Well, you can play the single player games on your own server at localhost, so I guess it's not a problem. Am I right?
Fireboar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right as long as you don't plan to distribute. If you do, it'll be awfully clunky, asking your players to "configure it to run this module, then run NWNX - except you'll need a different one if you use Linux and it won't work on a Mac - then make sure that 'Post game to internet' is turned off or else put a password on the server, then go into multiplayer and choose 'Join LAN game' and choose the option that appears."

No. NWNX is for servers, not clients. It's not 100% straightforward but it is very powerful, which makes it ideal for servers and really bad for clients. As suggested, wait for NWNCX.
virusman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNCX is not just NWNX for the client. It's a completely different project. It extends the client itself.
NWNX Lite was a project to bring NWNX to single-player, but it was never started due to low demand.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it would be incredible, if there was NWNTX (toolset nwnx). I can imagine ability to pop new window and to set local ints on object when OK is pressed. That would allow much more variety and possibilities but mainly more "user-friendly-ness". What do you think?
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaDoOoW wrote:
I think that it would be incredible, if there was NWNTX (toolset nwnx). I can imagine ability to pop new window and to set local ints on object when OK is pressed. That would allow much more variety and possibilities but mainly more "user-friendly-ness". What do you think?
Unfortunately, the toolset is made with Borland Delphi (or Borland C++?), I don't have any symbols for it and its calling convention makes me mad. Although I have modified certain things in the Toolset, there are no plans to make any NWNX-style extensions to it.
Mikel of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you have an modificated version of the toolset (1.67 i think) with extended character input. Perhaps you can make this again for 1.69?
Is this also usable for other international translations of nwn?

Kalandur - Die vergessene Welt
dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikel of Avalon, NWTSrus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: