logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step by step MySQL setup.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultravolts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:46    Post subject: Step by step MySQL setup. Reply with quote

I ran a nwn2 server with nwnx4 running and a database last year.

I am wanting to reinstall everything and start hosting a server again, but there used to be a complete step by step tutorial of how to install MySql then setup nWNx4 with it.

Anyone know where it has gone, I can't find it for the life of me, looked high and low.

Thanks,
ultra.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new tutorial with MySQL was in the works, but has not been finished yet. The current tutorial deals only with SQLite - but hey, it's not that much of a difference, is it Smile ?

Please consult the MySQL docs and ask any remaining questions here on the forum.
12o

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 23:48    Post subject: Questions regarding this Reply with quote

I am now just getting started with setting up my first server using MySQL, NWNX4, and NWN2. I'm trying to set up the test module that comes with the NWNX4, but there doesn't seem to be enough information in the documentation located here:

http://www.nwnx.org/index.php?id=nwnx4_installation

I've been pouring through the NWNX4 documentation, but as mentioned it only covers SQLite. Since there's still no "Setting up NWNX4 with MySQL" manual and since it also isn't covered in the documentation specifically:

1) What is the actual *name* of the database I am supposed to set up in MySQL to run the nwnx4demo module?

1a) Will NWNX4 automatically set up the database name and tables when I first start it? (I don't know how to set up SQLite, but since there's no directions on setting up a database name or tables, one would have to assume NWNX4 sets them up on the fly)

2) What are the tables and settings I am supposed to set up in MySQL to run the nwnx4demo module? (Again, it doesn't seem to be in the NWNX4 documentation even with SQLite, so it seems that this information is also set up on the fly)

UPDATE: Forget it. It doesn't work anyway. I moved the nwnx4_hook.dll to the game directory, set the nwnx.ini, xp_mysql.ini, and xp_sqlite.ini, started MySQL, copied the mdules, set the schema to nwnx, and created an account (all per the documentation). But every single time I try to run either the controller or the gui, I get an instant error pop-up box stating "This application has failed to start because the applicaion configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." Since I didn't 'install' the application, it looks like the program is incompatible with Windows 2003 Server anyway. Well, at least I tried...
Skywing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably needs that you need to install the VS8 SP1 CRT.

Try grabbing this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en
12o

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywing wrote:
This probably needs that you need to install the VS8 SP1 CRT.

Try grabbing this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

Thanks, Skywing. Looks like that fixed it. Amazing! I think this would make a great addition to the NWNX4 documentation right before Step 1. Think of the hours that could be saved if someone could put that line into the documentation. Certainly could have saved me a long time. Thanks again.
Skywing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might poke virusman about that. It certainly should be there.

- S
12o

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything else that might be needed as well? The program starts, but I keep getting an "DetourCreateProcessWithDll failed: 2" error. It attempts to run every 5 seconds, it appear. I looked up the problem online, and it happens to do with the dll.

According to the documentation, the nwnx4_hook.dll gets copied to the nwn2 directory. There are also the xp_mysql.dll, xp_sqlite.dll, and the xp_time.dll. Do those also get put into the nwn2 directory? Or do they stay put? The documentation doesn't say anything about those three.

------------------------------------------
DISREGARD: I'm one step further, at least. But this problem was caused by something else. Thanks for the help.
Skywing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 is ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. Did you place nwnx4_hook.dll in the game directory or the nwnx directory? I seem to recall it being changed to reside in the nwnx directory with 1.09, though I might be misremembering (that change might have just been living only on my branch of it).

The other option is that the nwnxhome path is wrong and nwn2server.exe thus can't be found.
12o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywing wrote:
2 is ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. Did you place nwnx4_hook.dll in the game directory or the nwnx directory? I seem to recall it being changed to reside in the nwnx directory with 1.09, though I might be misremembering (that change might have just been living only on my branch of it).

The other option is that the nwnxhome path is wrong and nwn2server.exe thus can't be found.

Everything was in the correct spots and the ini files were configured correctly. Not sure what the problem was, but it's fixed now (one of those "suddenly started working" situations) Smile. The next problem I had was storing data into the database. The NWNX4 doc doesn't say anything about setting up a table in the schema. On a whim, I decided to create the table that was used in NWNX2 (pwdata). I've managed to get the client up and working correctly and even went through the module to test it out.

Are the commands in the toolset the same ones used in the NWNX2? (Watches for "SetLocalString()" and "GetLocalString()", and looks for "NWNX!" in the string?)

Thanks.
Kres

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

open the nwnx_demo_mysql and open the e_mod_load script that will give you an idea on how to do this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: